Will the Patriots Get RAMmed?

By Michael McKay, Sports Editor

For the eleventh time in the franchise’s career, the New England Patriots are once again in the NFL Championship game, and this year they will be facing off against one of the youngest teams in the league, the Los Angeles Rams. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (41 years old) will be going after his sixth championship ring, which will make him the player with the most in NFL history. He will be facing off against the Rams’ #1 overall draft pick from 2016, quarterback Jared Goff, who is playing only his third season in the league.

The Rams were lucky to have made it into the big game this year, as a massive blown call caused the Rams to defeat the New Orleans Saints in the NFC Championship Game on Jan. 20 in overtime. What should have been a pass interference call to advance the Saints closer to the end-zone was not called, and ultimately led to a Rams victory. This insane blown call has caused outrage among not only Saints fans, but all NFL fans. Junior Hayden Ferrigno commented on the ridiculous call that got the Rams into the championship.

“That referee should be fired, straight up. That was one of the biggest blown calls in NFL history. Even though I want the Rams to squash the Patriots, they had no reason to beat the Saints. That call stole the Saints’ chance to finally get back into the big game,” Ferrigno said.

The New England Patriots, on the other hand, had yet another stellar regular season behind Brady and the legendary Coach Bill Belichick, finishing the season strong at 11-5. As mentioned, the Patriots will be going after their sixth championship win, which will tie them with the Pittsburgh Steelers for most championships ever won.

West students have lots of opinions over who they would prefer to win the big game. Senior Jonathan Khoshaba is one of the many who is tired of the Patriots always winning, and hopes for a Rams victory.

“I’m sick of the Brady and Belichick regime. Every year, I’m getting so tired of it. He’s a great quarterback, you can’t argue that but I want to see more diversity in the championship,” Khoshaba said. “Belichick has the best coaching system we’ve ever seen, but constantly seeing them is getting old.”

Others in the school love the Patriots dynasty, including senior Hayden Kipp.

“On paper, sure the Rams look like a good team. They’ve got young talent, a stacked defense, and the youngest head coach [Sean McVay, 33 years old] the NFL has ever had,” Kipp said. “But at the end of the day, the Patriots will be the Patriots, Brady will be Brady, and even if they’re down in the game, they’re going to come back to win. You can say it’s boring that they’re in the big game again, but then again, just try to beat them. Nobody will.”

The game is scheduled for this Sunday, Feb. 3 at 5:30 P.M. central time, with a halftime performance by Maroon 5, Travis Scott, and Big Boi. Kick back with your friends and family, watch a great game, and enjoy some of the greatest commercials.