2019 Boys Baseball Preview

The+team+heads+out+to+their+positions+to+begin+the+inning+last+year.+

Vinnie Bellissimo

The team heads out to their positions to begin the inning last year.

By Sidney Hines, Features Editor

As the snow melts and spring rolls around the corner, the Niles West boys varsity baseball team is gearing up to start their 2019 season. Following their successful season last year — in which they lost ten seniors — the young team has high hopes for the upcoming season.

Captian and senior Bradley Pawlow is eager to start his senior season and has seen lots of potential in his young teammates.

“We’re looking good and ready to start off strong this season,” Pawlow said. “Many of our varsity guys have been committed to going to off-season hitting and throwing workouts consistently and we’ve been getting so much stronger in the weight room. I think we can definitely compete to be a top team in conference.”

Pawlow has many personal goals this season and hopes to be a role model for his young teammates.

“As a captain, I’m looking forward to leading my teammates to not only win but to help them become better players and teammates when I leave Niles West,” Pawlow said. “Being one of the only upperclassmen on the team means I have more responsibility and more players will be counting on me, which I’m ready to take on. I’m looking forward to fighting for the regional title and having my best personal year before I go off to college.”

Fellow teammate and captain, sophomore Kyle Gibson, believes the hardworking mentality of the underclassmen will help lead the team to a successful season this year.

“The team is looking pretty good,” Gibson said. “We are full of hard workers and a young team. We were senior-heavy last year but now only have a few seniors and a lot of underclassmen. As a captain, I’m looking forward to how we challenge ourselves and bonding with my teammates because working together and bonding is as important as working hard.”

Following the loss of ten seniors, the young team will gain a lot of experience throughout this season.

“Although we’re looking pretty good this year, we’re gonna have to work harder with all the seniors we lost, but I think we’ll be alright,” junior Jack Lochner said. “This year I’m just looking forward to playing baseball. It’s a sport I’ve played forever and I’m just ready to get back into things. My personal goal this season is to just play every game like it’s my last and to perform at my highest ability at all times.”

The boys will be hosting Lane Tech on Thurs., March 14 at home to start off their 2019 season.