Q&A with the Student Government

What exactly does Student Government do? The NWN interviewed Student Government members senior Cody Lefkowitz, junior Gabbrielle Meheux, junior Danielle Meheux, and junior Kubrat Vrachanski to learn about how Student Government focuses on the issues of our school and ways to change it by negotiating with the school board and getting feedback from students. They’re also in charge of the homecoming assemblies every year.

The NWN asked the members of Student Government about what they do and what they want to accomplish.

NWN: What do you like about Student Government?

• Cody: “Student Government gives me a way to interact with students I would have never interacted with otherwise, just because of the grade differences. In Student Government, we have freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors, so as a senior, I can see who’s following up, and when we make our changes, how it affects them, and how I can see them helping others in a better way.”
  • Gabbrielle: “[I like] the fact that we can help the school and the students.”
  • Danielle: “I like that I get to know what’s going on in the school and [that] I get to help out with making important decisions. [I also like] feeling more connected to the students and teachers [and to feel like I’m] changing the school.
  • Kubrat: “The thing that I like is being the voice for all the people in the school and trying to please them with what you can do. It helps the school build a better community.”

NWN: What would you say to freshmen interested in Student Government?

• Cody: “Join! It is possibly one of the best things you can do here. Go join it. You’ll meet new people. And honestly, when it comes to it, if they start thinking about college applications, it helps out on there. It’ll help them freshman year, because if they make a change, it’ll help them, sophomore, junior, and senior year, to enjoy school more.”
  • Gabbrielle: “It’s a great opportunity. We can always use more helpers.”
  • Danielle: “You should definitely do it because it’s good for college, it’s very fun, and we have [Ogulnik]. It makes it a lot easier to transition through high school.”
  • Kubrat: “Come and join us. It’s a fun activity. It’s like the White House of the school. You get to try to please your ‘country’ with what you do. If you like to be in charge, it’s the place for you. Just join and have fun.”

NWN: What do you do [individually]?

• Cody: “I am the school board representative this year. Once a month I will go to school board meetings and meet with members of the school board, Niles North representatives, and other representatives from Niles West. We get together and talk about all the main issues that are coming up. Last year, we talked about the cutting of the teachers… and the food [policy]. I take part in those decisions. Whatever is brought up in Niles West, I will bring up in school board meetings and I will also relay that to the students of Niles West and make sure they have a good understanding of it.”
  • Gabbrielle: “I keep track of who’s [at meetings] and who’s not. I [also] write about Student Government meetings when the secretary isn’t there.”
  • Danielle: “I’m the secretary and I take notes down and fill out fliers.”
  • Kubrat: “I’m the treasurer and TCSI representative. Treasurer’s are in charge of the money from fundraising. In TCSI, you go and talk to the board for new technology, like the netbooks we approved for the freshmen last year. It’s fun.”

NWN: What changes would you like to be seen here at Niles West?

• Cody: “If I were to think of any, it would probably be to possibly make the vending machines a little more healthier. At Evanston [Township], they have a green vending machine where they sell apples and bananas and good fruit and vegetables, whereas I see we’re still selling diet sodas, Gatorade which is high in sugar, so maybe we should start selling drinks that are better for you in the vending machines.”
  • Gabbrielle: “[I want] a little more freedom for the students, like that they should be able to go to their lockers during lunch or something like that.”
  • Danielle: “I would like to see [the school] be more friendly. More electives that would be fun to take, too.”
  • Kubrat: “I’d like to see no fighting or stealing. I just want a better community of people that love and support each other and for more caring. [I don’t want] bullying or fighting. If you have peace, you can have everything.”

NWN: How do you feel about the results of the new food and cell phone policy?

• Cody: “[The new food policy] is a lot better. It forces you to make more greener, healthier choices. It is going exceptionally well. People are complaining that the price is expensive and the green plates are supposed to be getting you to eat healthier with a lower price. [With] the cell phone policy, I can see people in the halls doing whatever they have to so they don’t text or call in class. It will definitely take more of an effect in the upcoming months. The new freshmen laptops are good because it’s saving the school a lot of money on textbooks and it’s saving the students a lot of money, and so this way, say they lose a textbook, they won’t have to pay for a new one.”
  • Gabbrielle: “I’m happy with the cell phone policy and I’m happy about the new food, but they’re still a little pricy. I like the food a lot. With the cell phone policy, we now don’t need to see our deans because of our cells. I see a lot of people texting in the halls instead of during class. We’ve definitely come a long way with it.”
  • Danielle: “I think they’re amazing. I hope the students like it. I think students use [the cell phone policy] and I don’t hear teachers yelling [about cell phones] as much.
  • Kubrat: “I feel great because I’m proud of Student Government. We brought these issues to the board and they heard our voice, so I’m happy. With the changes in the food, we have better pizza now and green plate specials. For the cell phone policy, we all benefit from it because there’s no more calling or texting during class. I think it’s pretty nice. I hope we keep having it.”

NWN: How do you feel about people not knowing the difference between Student Government and Student Cabinet?

• Cody: “It’s not a big deal, I mean, it doesn’t bother me as much about what the difference is, it’s that people don’t know what we do. People don’t know that junior cabinet is in charge of prom. Everyone thinks it’s run by Student Government. The fact that people don’t know that there are cabinets or that there is a government is a little bothersome.”
  • Gabbrielle: “I laugh. Student cabinet comes up with prom ideas and dances. I feel it’s funny [that people don’t know that] and laugh.”
  • Danielle: “I don’t really feel anything. I understand that people don’t really get the difference. I just explain it to them because I know they’re not involved in it.”
  • Kubrat: “Actually, I don’t really know the difference either. Student cabinet is for the class. Student Government looks out for everybody. We’re more general. Both are awesome, but I think I like Government more because I want to see everyone being treated as equal instead of a certain class.”

If you are interested in joining Student Government or their involvement in our school, contact Jessica Ogulnik in the Student Activities Center.