MLB 2019 Spring Training Update

Spring Training 2019

MLB

Spring Training 2019

By Ethan Carey, Staff Writer

Baseball season is back again and so far there has been no shortage of excitement across the MLB. With free agency being the hot topic of this year’s off-season, rising stars looking to make an impact, and longtime veterans playing in their last spring training games before they hang up their cleats for good, the 2019 MLB season is already shaping up to be historic and exciting.

Bryce Harper kept all MLB fans on the edge of their seats throughout the off-season as he entered free agency and talks of where he might be going were non-stop. Harper just recently signed a record-breaking contract with the Philadelphia Phillies where he will be paid $330 million over the course of 13 years is the highest paying contract in baseball history.

”I really think that he signed a contract that is keeping him on a team for way too long,” junior Themi Kastrinakis said. “I don’t think anyone should be kept on a team that long especially without being able to be traded or opt out of their contract.”

Manny Machado was also a hot topic as he was listed on free agency as well as Harper. Machado recently signed a $300 million contract where he will be apart of the San Diego Padres. Both superstars ended up on teams that people were pretty sure they wouldn’t end up on and it has been non-stop talked about since the signing days.

Other than the superstars already in the league, there are several prospects coming from the minor leagues that are looking to make an impact for their teams in the majors this year. Two of these prospects include Vlad Guerrero Jr. who is the son of former MLB superstar, Vlad Guerrero. The other is the top out-fielding prospect on the Chicago White Sox, Eloy Jimenez. Both of these rising stars are looking to make it their year in the majors and based on the way spring training has gone for them so far, the future is looking bright. Be sure to keep an eye out for these rising players throughout the rest of spring training.

”I think that these prospects have such high potential and although they might start off a little shaky, by the end of the year they will be hitting bombs like it’s nothing,” sophomore Kyle Gibson said.

Spring training has gone well so far looking at new and upcoming players but there really is no telling what could happen to a team when opening day comes along. March 28th, 2019, marks the date for opening day and the start of the 7 month season. Watching new players develop and shine while watching the current superstars perform on their new teams is something that should be fun to watch throughout the 2019 MLB season.

”I’m really just looking forward to seeing what great things both Harper and Machado are going to do on their new teams,” freshman Alex Cherian said. “I have no doubt that they will have a good season and it should be fun to watch.”

With the season already back in action, be sure to keep a close eye on fresh prospects and longtime veterans hoping to throw a curveball within the realm of the MLB.