LeBron James Passes Michael Jordan on All-Time Points Leader List

NBA

Lebron Passes Michael Jordan on all time scoring list.

By Ethan Carey, Staff Writer

Basketball legend and forward for the Los Angeles LakersLeBron James, did something that most people cannot even dream of. Last Wed. March 6, 2019, James passed up the legendary Michael Jordan on the all-time points list with a total of 32,292 points across his remarkable career, and he isn’t done.

James was trailing by 12 points following Jordan going into his game Wednesday night and he put it away with a free throw and finished the game with 31 points, putting him in fourth place on the all-time points list.

James still has over 6,000 points left to score in order to achieve the rank of number one on the list. There is no telling how much time James has in order to get that but he has shown no signs of slowing down and many people think that he will achieve this goal.

Many people believe that James is indeed a better basketball player than Jordan all around and that he doesn’t get as much credit as he deserves.

“Lebron is already so great and I mean he passed MJ taking 1,000 fewer shots than him, can you believe that?” junior Maaz Syed said. “His all-around game is superior to MJ and there is no doubt in my mind he will pass Kareem Abdul Jabbar for the most points all time.”

There is no doubt that people admire the greatness that James brings to the court but even though he has passed him on the all-time points list, some still think that Jordan is the best to ever play.

“Its obviously impressive that LeBron passed up MJ in point but its even more impressive that he did it in less shot attempts,” sophomore Joseph Elkhatib “LeBron’s efficiency is defiantly one of the reasons that he is arguably the greatest of all time however he is yet to truly prove he is better than Jordan.”

James has always faced criticism mostly for switching teams when he feels he can’t win a championship anymore but that doesn’t change the fact that he is one of the greatest athletes on the planet as of today.

“People really need to stop hating and appreciate the greatness that Lebron brings to the league when he retires the league will never be the same again,” Syed said.

There are also people who will always think that absolutely no one can top Jordan no matter how many points they might have throughout their career. To some, making the important shots is a bigger accomplishment than scoring the most when it is essentially meaningless.

“To me, LeBron is a choke when it comes to important situations,” junior Steven Lee said. “Jordan is 6/6 in finals appearances and James is 3/5.”

Although James passed Jordan on the all-time points list, there have been multiple times where he didn’t prove himself.

“LeBron’s free throw percentage is trash in the clutch where as Jordan has just been always there,” Lee said.

With 17 games left in the regular season and many more seasons to come, James is just over 1,000 points behind another NBA legend and also former Laker, Kobe BryantJames’ journey to the top is far from over and both supporters and haters alike are waiting to see what he can do for the rest of the year, potentially conquering the hill to the top of the points leaderboard.