St. Patrick’s Day Parade: A Chicago Tradition

St. Patricks Day Parade: A Chicago Tradition

By Isa Gil, Social Media Editor

The Chicago River is a normal attraction for the inhabitants of Chicago, but in March the Chicago River is anything but ordinary. Over the years, Chicago’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade has been recognized as one of the best places to celebrate this Irish holiday. Chicago puts its own touch to the holiday by dyeing the Chicago River green every year.

This holiday that originated from the Irish has spread and become apart of Chicago and its people throughout the years. People of all different races and ethnicities come out to the city, this year on March 16th, to celebrate this holiday that has become a part of what it means to be a Chicagoan.

“I think the St. Patrick’s tradition in Chicago is so raw and it’s different than anywhere else because here we do it so big and all out that no one else can compare. We literally dye the river green and even though a majority of the people who go aren’t Irish, we all know how to celebrate the holiday together and that’s what makes it special in Chicago, ” senior Nirvana Meseljevic said.

The long-anticipated parade although a big celebration can become a little hectic and a potentially dangerous scene.

“I’ve gone to the parade since freshman year and every year it gets more wild and crowded. That’s not always a bad thing but you’re always gonna have those people who jump out of trees because they feel like it, so that’s something to watch out for,” senior Nina Gillespie said.

Just looking down any social media account you can see the popularity of St. Patrick’s Day not only in Chicago but around the country. Despite its popularity, some believe that people forget the history behind the day and use the holiday as an excuse to party.

“I have never been to the parade as I have always had a gymnastics meet scheduled for the same day. I don’t particularly believe St. Patty’s is a dumb holiday, but some people use it as an excuse to party and ignore the history behind it,” senior Sage Hutter said.