National Debate Tournament Proves Successful

Prep-work+for+tournaments+being+done+in+the+Niles+West+classroom.+

Prep-work for tournaments being done in the Niles West classroom.

By Ethan Carey, Staff Writer

The biggest debate tournament came for the debate team this past Sat. April 13 when they went off to Glenbrook South High School and debated in nationals. With over 100 teams at the tournament, the skill levels varied but there is no doubt that each debate was a challenge of its own.

With over 100 different teams in attendance, the competition was there and provided new challenges for both new debaters and experienced.

Nationals serves as a great learning experience for the debaters of Niles West, ranging from freshman to seniors. The freshman in attendance for the tournament got to wrap up their first season and are more than excited for the upcoming debate seasons.

“The tournament was, of course, a challenge. I was nervous about potentially hitting some of the best debaters in the country. I learned a lot, however, and can say it was a really good experience to prepare myself for next year,” freshman Celina Saba said.

The leaders of the debate team also had just as much fun and just as good of a learning experience as the beginners and are proud of what they will bring to the team next year. The experienced debaters handed down all of their knowledge to the new ones and they all had fun teaching them what they know.

“It was super exciting debating against 100+ teams across the nation. I learned a lot and it was such a great experience, especially being able to teach and lead the younger Niles West debaters,” junior Freskida Sejdiu said.

The tournament deemed successful and was a great way to end the season.

“The tournament went really well it was super fun and I thought we had a good end to the season with a bright future ahead,” senior Dulguun Baterdene said.

With the 2019 season wrapped up, the debaters are already ready to get next year started with new and returning debaters looking for an even more successful 2019-2020 year