Top 8 Must-Watch Movies Coming Out This Summer

By Julia Matuszek, Video Editor

With summer just around the corner, everybody will have much more free time. What to do with all that time? Well, going to the movies is a great option, and everybody is getting ready for all the new and exciting upcoming movie releases. Although in the summer there is an abundance of movie releases, (in my opinion) these are the top 8 films you must watch this summer.

1.) Aladdin  Rated: PG

Recently, Disney has been all about taking their classic animations and making them into live-action films. They’ve already done Cinderella, Dumbo, The Jungle Book, and Beauty and The Beast and show no sign of slowing down, releasing not only Aladdin during the summer but also The Lion King. The previous live action films, as well as the 2019 version of Aladdin, seem to closely follow the storyline of the original movies, just changing a couple of details and adding in some new characters. The film so far already has some controversy surrounding it due to the casting choice of Will Smith to portray the Genie, previously portrayed by the late Robin Williams. Not only that but the film is also facing accusations of whitewashing. I guess only time will tell how the remake will stand up next to the original.

2.) Booksmart Rated: R

Olivia Wilde‘s directorial debut tells the story of two high school seniors Amy, played by Kaitlyn Dever, and Molly played by Beanie Feldstein. Amy and Molly’s main focus in the last four years of their lives was school, grades, and making sure they got into a good college. After they’ve achieved all that they’ve wanted, the day before their high school graduation, they start to reminisce and realize that they haven’t done much living the last four years. They’ve reached their goals, but at the cost of missing out on teenage year milestones and fun. They decide to make up for the lost time and cram in four years of craziness into one, extreme, wild night.

3.) Rocketman Rated: R

After the success of Bohemian Rhapsody which told the story of Freddie Mercury, comes another biopic about another famous, crazy dressing musician, but this time it’s about Elton John, who is played by Taron Egerton. The film focuses on the years where Elton John skyrocketed into fame, his breakthrough years. The audience is able to see the real and unsolicited backstory and struggles that Elton John had to endure in order to reach his dreams. I’m guessing that after the release of this movie, everybody will have “Tiny Dancer” and “Bennie & Jets” stuck in their heads.

4.) Toy Story 4 Rated: G

This film is the fourth installment in a dearly-beloved franchise. When announced it was shocking because everybody had thought that Toy Story 3 would be the last film of the franchise. In the newest film, Bonnie (who owns all of Andy’s toys now) has made a new toy, a spork named Forky, voiced by Tony Hale. Forky decides to run away because he feels he should be doing his job as a spork, and not as a toy. Woody, voiced by Tom Hanks decides to follow Forky to change his mind. This leads to all the toys taking a road trip in order to convince Forky to stay. During this trip they run into Woody’s former flame, Bo Peep, voiced by Annie Potts. Bo Peep introduces them to carnivals where toys can be played by all the time. This leads Bonnie’s toys to question where they belong and what their role is.

5.) The Lion King Rated: not released yet, but most likely will be PG

As stated above when discussing AladdinThe Lion King is also a live-action remake coming out this summer. The plot seems to closely follow the original animated film. The aspect of the film that has many fans excited is the amazing cast that Disney was able to get for the film. James Earl Jones will reprise his role as Mufasa. Donald Glover, also known as Childish Gambino, will be voicing Simba, and his love interest Nala, will be voiced by Beyonce. The iconic duo of Pumbaa and Timon will be voiced by Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner. The intimidating Scar will be voiced by Chiwetel Ejiofor. And if that’s not enough talent, John Oliver will be playing sassy, know-it-all Zazu. And lastly, the hyenas Kamari and Azizi will be voiced by Keegan-Michael Key and Eric Andre.

6.) Once Upon A Time In Hollywood  Rated: not released yet, but most likely will be R

Quentin Tarantino‘s 9th film focuses on actor Rick Dalton, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, and his stunt double Cliff Booth, played by Brad Pitt. They’ve both been in the industry for a long time, but now in the year 1969 they see the industry is changing rapidly, and they are trying to find their way. That same year, Dalton’s and Booth’s neighbor, real-life actress Sharon Tate, played by Margot Robbie, is a victim of the Manson Murders. Although it is unknown how the two storylines are connected, the theme of the movie seems to be about the loss of innocence that America experienced in 1969.

7.) Where’d You Go, Bernadette Rated: PG-13

The movie which is based on the 2012 novel by the same name, tells the story of Bernadette Fox, played by Cate Blanchett, who is a famous architect and promises her daughter whatever she wants in return for straight A’s. Well her daughter, Bee, played by Emma Nelson, delivers and she asks for a trip to Antartica. Before they leave, Bernadette disappears. Everybody is confused and lost and the main question becomes “Where’d You Go, Bernadette?”.

8.) Good Boys Rated: R

When pre-teen Max, played by Jacob Tremblay, gets invited to a kissing party he begins to freak out as he hasn’t had his first kiss yet. His best friends, Lucas, played by Keith L. Williams and Thor, played by Brady Noon try to brainstorm ideas to help his practice beforehand. They eventually land on the idea to use Max’s dad’s drone to spy on teen girls. The girls see the drone and confiscate it from the boys to teach them a lesson. The boys decide to team up in order to get the drone back before Max’s dad realizes they took it, which ends up with them having a crazy adventure. So crazy that this movie is rated R, and it’s three main characters are all children.

Wondering when these movies come out? No worries, here are the dates: Aladdin and Booksmart both come out May 24th, Rocketman comes out May 31st, Toy Story 4 comes out June 21st, The Lion King comes out July 19th, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood comes out July 26th, and Where’d You Go, Bernadette and Good Boys both come out August 16th. Hope you all have an amazing summer, filled with good movies!