Another School Shooting Brings America to Heartbreak

By Stefan Simic, Staff Writer

Two suspects opened fire at STEM School Highlands Ranch in Colorado on Tues., May 7 around 2:00 P.M.  The two suspects, who haven’t been named by authorities, are now in custody. One person died, and another eight were injured in the shooting.

The shooting occurred roughly eight miles from the infamous Columbine High School, wherein 1999, 12 students and one teacher were killed.

“It’s a scary thing to think about,” junior James Berg said. “It can happen anywhere, at any time. This has to stop. Our government must do something to address this issue.”

Junior Addison Youkhanis was deeply sorrowed when he heard what happened in Colorado. He believes the only way to solve this issue is to impose tighter restrictions on guns.

“We must have stricter gun laws to prevent events like these from happening again,” Youkhanis said. “Congress has to open their eyes and see that kids are dying, because of the lax restrictions we have on guns.”

Junior Claire Adler has her own approach on this issue. She urges kids and others to take a stand and protest against the politicians that are preventing gun regulation bills from passing.

“We have to take a stand and protest,” Adler said. “We’ve seen that our attempts to solve this issue have been turned down repeatably, but enough is enough. We must take the fight to Congress, and hope for the best.”

As the families of the victims mourn, it is our job to find out how and why these gunmen did what they did. We as a society must act swiftly and promptly so that no more innocent blood is shed.