Girls Varsity Volleyball vs Niles North Game Recap

Niles West celebrating their win against Niles North.

By Aila Durakovic, Social Media Editor

On Sept. 10th, the Niles West girls varsity volleyball team beat Niles North in two sets for the breast cancer awareness game. The girls got to keep the Crosstown Traveling Trophy in the wolf den where it truly belongs.

The contest gym was fully packed with a bunch of fans dressed in pink and wearing pink wristbands to support breast cancer awareness. Wristbands were sold for a $1 each along with a free raffle ticket. Every dollar made was donated to charity towards breast cancer awareness. After the first set, fans were able to win prizes by serving a volleyball over the net and landing it into a hula hoop.

It’s fair to say the game was close to going into a third set, but West didn’t let that happen. Senior and captain Majila Spahija drove the game to win. With her motivational attitude and will to win, Spahija kept her team on their toes till the last ball dropped.

“Yesterday was definitely very hectic. The game was tight, but we managed to stick together and finish strong till the last second,” Spahija said. “The cancer awareness games are always my favorite because not only do we get a huge fan base watching us, but we’re also supporting a great cause.”

Junior and setter from Niles North Julia Vukic had a great experience at yesterdays game. Although they lost, Vukic believes they played well considering they have still been working on their lineup.

“My favorite part of the game would definitely be the amount of energy both sides brought to the court and having my sister, Jena Vukic, on the court with me for the first time this year,” Vukic said. “It’s always nice to acknowledge those who have overcome cancer and to play for an amazing cause.”

Due to such a big game, a big fan base followed. Senior Sarkis Barkho came to support the girls and breast cancer awareness. Barkho has a big heart for the Niles West sports teams because it brings everyone together.

“I’m a big Niles West sports fan. I love coming to the games and cheering on my friends. I think the sporting events is what really brings the student body together,” Barkho said. “I’ve never had a family member deal with breast cancer, but someone I hold very dear to me suffered from cancer, so I really do feel for the families. These charity events are a nice way to raise awareness.”

Make sure to follow the girls’ season and come support them at their home tournament this weekend on Friday at 5 pm and Saturday at 9 am.