After Lockdown Scare, Administration Troubleshoots Intercom System

The intercom system was tested on Friday, Oct. 25.

By Sarah Waters, News and Academics Editor

After administration inadvertently called a lockdown last Tuesday, students and staff expressed concerns about the intercom system. Steps have been taken to make improvements.

Last Friday, Oct. 25, the intercom system was inspected and tested by technicians when most teachers and staff attended an institute day at Niles North. Students had a non-attendance day. According to an emailed statement from principal Dr. Karen Ritter and assistant principal of operations, Steve Parnther, speakers were installed, and repairs were made in order to increase the system’s audibility.

“We routinely assess our facilities, procedures, and protocols for emergency situations for all areas of the building,” Ritter wrote. “We use the feedback given by teachers and staff to make improvements for the safety of the Niles West school community. We welcome feedback from students as well.”

If members of the school community recognize additional areas for security improvement, they should contact building administration.

“Anyone who has feedback about our lockdown drills should contact me, Mr. Parnther, or our Director of Security, Mr. Pechter,” Ritter wrote. “We will continue to have lockdown drills in the future as part of our emergency planning.”

Dr. Karen Ritter: [email protected], 847-626-2510

Steve Parnther: [email protected], 847-626-2520

Michael Pechter: [email protected], 847-626-2844