Girls Varsity Volleyball Vs Conant Recap

Junior Magdalena Soldo tipping the ball over the net.

By Aila Durakovic, Social Media Editor

On Tuesday, Oct. 29, the Niles West girls varsity volleyball team had their regional game against Conant High School. Unfortunately, the girls lost the game in the third set, but they definitely put up a good game. They finished the season with a record of 20-13.

Senior and captain Arianna Lopez just finished her fourth year on varsity. To say she feels bitter-sweet is an understatement. The regional game didn’t work out as planned, but being a captain and spending the season with her teammates was much more than she could ever ask for.

“I think the regional game definitely could have gone better. We started off kind of slow, but then we pushed hard and beat them in the second set. In the third set, we just fell apart and didn’t play like we normally do,” Lopez said. “Being captain this year really opened my eyes to the game because everyone counts on you, whether it is on or off the court. During games, it was up to myself and the other two captains to keep the team motivated and excited while also making sure the team is getting along.”

Although it was a tough loss, senior and captain Majila Spahija had a memorable senior season. She took on the leadership role and stepped up as a captain to make sure the season was well worth it, for not only her but also her team.

“I am still quite upset that we lost in our first game, but I’m proud of the fact that we were able to take the game into a third set. It shows that we didn’t give up,” Spahija said. “My favorite memory from this season would have to be the Adidas event that we attended as a team. It was an amazing team bonding because we got to bond and interact with all levels of the volleyball program. I’m really going to miss the varsity girls because we’ve spent so much time together since July, and now that season is over, we won’t be seeing each other as much as we did during the season.”

Junior and first-year varsity starter Izzy Hasal felt as if the team’s mental toughness was absent in the third set. The fun and energy weren’t there, and she felt as if the team gave up, but her first season on varsity was still one never to forget.

“It was definitely scary when I found out I’d be starting libero for my first year on varsity because, as a libero, everyone expects you to pass or dig the ball perfectly every contact. Nonetheless, it’s always fun hitting the floor and getting amazing digs,” Hasal said. “Being with my teammates every day will always be my favorite memory because we are always having fun. This year we had great team chemistry. We literally treat each other like family, and that’s what I love most about our team.”

This all means that yet another fall sport meets its end. Congratulations to the volleyball girls for keeping up a solid record and making the most out of their season. At the end of the day, we join sports not only to win but to also have fun and meet new people. The girls seem as if they formed a strong bond that will last off the court. Hopefully, we will be able to see that return next season.