Junior Year: The Stress Continues

A+junior+class.+

Alli Lipsit

A junior class.

By Julie Abelson, Staff Writer

It is now November, which means that the junior class is three months into their toughest school year yet. Before this year, the juniors simply heard the rumors about what the year would entail for them. They heard that they would have countless assignments with a lot to balance. They had imagined that they would drown in their work. However, now that the end of the semester is in sight, they have mixed ideas of how the year is, and some of their thoughts have drastically changed.

Junior Alexis Mazzenga gives hope regarding what junior year is really like.

“It may be hard at first, but after a few weeks, you develop a study habit, and it becomes a lot less stressful,” Mazzenga said.

Mazzenga at first thought she had to complete all of her assignments in one night, which resulted in her having to stay up late. As time progressed, she learned how to use her study halls and prioritize assignments and studying for tests. This is common for many juniors in AP classes as not many complete everything in one day, but rather have “GAW Days” or “Physics Days.”

Some juniors like Alma Osmankic still feel that they are under a lot of stress not only for the school work but the significance of junior year.

Osmankic feels the pressure of junior year because there is now college and higher expectations of classes to worry about. Before junior year, high school was simple and fun, but now it’s time to get to work.

“High school is starting to feel like a reality. Junior year is very stressful,” Osmankic said.

Junior Sinan Hashim also still feels the same regarding standardized testing.

“I’m still confused about standardized testing. I feel pressured to take both the SAT and the ACT, but I don’t know why I should,” Hashim said.

Hashim suggests that students should learn about the regional emphasis on the two standardized testings, meaning how and why different states in the U.S focus on the SAT vs. the ACT and vice versa. To him, there are cases where one test would be better over the other, but he feels he is not informed on when and how to decide.

Overall, the juniors are getting settled into the year, and they are quickly getting into gear and are adapting to the challenging months ahead of them. However, there is still some learning to do regarding some vital pieces of the year, like standardized testing and college decisions.