2019-2020 Boys Varsity Basketball Preview

Niles+West+huddling+up+for+a+team+discussion+at+senior+night.+

Andrea Espino

Niles West huddling up for a team discussion at senior night.

By Ethan Carey, Sports Editor

The Wolves’ boys varsity basketball season kicked off this week, and the boys are nothing but ready for the long grind of challenges to overcome and many games to win.

The boys have a healthy amount of returning players, and at this point in their high school careers, they know what it takes to be the best and win basketball games.

“I am looking forward to a winning season and making it back to the regional final. I plan on winning it this year and hopefully make it downstate as well,” senior Haris Mackic said.

Of course, just like any other varsity sport, each year brings the challenge of replacing seniors that were part of the team. But the boys aren’t worried; they are ready to attack the beginning of the season.

“We have two starters returning from last year and another two players that played a solid amount during the season. However, we just need to make sure we all stay on the same page,” Mackic said.

“We lost some big-time seniors, but we’ve been waiting for our turn, and now we are ready to become big-time seniors. Individually, I’m looking to help my team win every single way I can. Scoring down low, shooting the three, rebounding, and being ready to help on defense. One thing I’d personally love to achieve is being a top three-point shooter in the CSL South,” senior Adnan Seferovic said.

The boys are excited for the upcoming season, and they know that they have something going for them, so it should be an engaging season to watch.

“As a team, we would most like to improve on our unity. If we can band together and play as one, we are extremely dangerous to anyone,” Seferovic said.

“One thing I am looking to improve on most is our team chemistry all around, and how much better we can get at knowing all of our players’ strengths and weaknesses,” freshman Lucas Vidrean said.

Each player has their own set of individual goals along with team goals to help better the results of the season.

“One thing I am looking to improve on most is our team chemistry all around and how much better we can get at knowing all of our player’s strengths and weaknesses,” Vidrean said.

The boy’s first basketball game will be held on Nov. 25, so be sure to wish the boys good luck sometime before then!