School Psychology Awareness Week

The School Psychology Awareness Week (PAW) is a way for the school psychologists to reach out and provide students and other staff members support, connection, and friendship. It kicks off on Nov. 14 and will run through Nov. 18.

Sponsored by National Association of School Psychologists,  this year’s theme is “Every link matters. Make a connection,” which encourages strong associations with people in one’s everyday life.

“[The theme] helps our students and school focus on creating positive connections within the school community, their academics, and their lives,” says psychologist Dana Kantor.

At this point, there is no specific event that will take place, but the school’s psychologists are planning to make psychology career presentations to psychology classes, and will distribute brochures to staff to raise awareness about school psychology services. All the school’s psychologists will also be at service in room 1130, ready to work with students for them to succeed in school, both academically and socially, said Kantor.

“We work with families, students, and other staff to make sure that all students have a safe and healthy environment in which to learn,” says Kantor.

PAW introduces to students that there are many resources in the school that they can relay on for help. The stress of school and personal life is large, and sometimes too much for a teenager. The school’s psychologists, and many others, are here to help.

“Students should become aware of PAW to better understand that there are resources and adults in the building that can help them, if needed,” says Kantor.