Skokie Public Library Renovations Close Popular Study Area

By Alli Lipsit, Staff Writer

If you’re someone who loves to rent out rooms to study at the Skokie Public Library, or even if you don’t rent out study rooms, and prefer to lay down on one of the couches or chairs and read a book on the second floor-your plans may have to change.

The Skokie Public Library started renovations on their second floor December 23 and will continue the work into the summer of 2020. Although there isn’t an exact date for when the renovations will come to an end, the project is estimated to run for about 14 months.

Some of the renovations will include a new floor plan making the second floor materials more accessible, and including a new cafe, more study rooms, more digital/art studios, and inclusive restrooms.

The second floor is a popular study area for high school students because of its extensive study rooms and work spaces, as well as a lack of children and other distractions people may face at home.

“I go there every time I have a big APUSH (AP U.S. History) test,” junior Hina Haider said. “Some friends and I meet up for a couple nights the week of the test to all study together. The library is super convenient because we all live close, and it helps to keep us focused. It’s really unfortunate that we won’t have access to the second floor for the rest of the semester, it’s going to be really difficult to find a place as convenient as the library to work at” she added.

Other students think the renovations should have been postponed until the summer.

“I think it would have been way smarter and in the best interest of the high school kids to wait to do to the renovations until summer, or at least start in the summer so the library could open up around finals time. I know a lot of kids use that area to study for finals, so It’s going to be super aggravating for them to have to find a new space,” junior Vaneeza Siddiqui said.

Other students are glad the renovations are occurring.

“Although it’s going to be a bit inconvenient now, it’ll be worth it when the renovations are done. It will be an even better space to study in for next year,” junior Ela Kinaci said.

For students seeking a new location to study, the Lincolnwood, Morton Grove and Niles libraries have the same hours as the Skokie library, and the Dunkin Donuts on Touhy is open 24 hours. The Niles West Library is open Mon.-Thurs. from 7:15 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and from 7:15 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. on Fridays.