GSA Club Creates Hygiene Packages for the Night Ministry

GSA poster of what items students and teachers can donate

By Julie Abelson, Staff Writer

Every year, the GSA club chooses a shelter to make hygiene kits for the homeless youth. This year, they are building kits to send to The Night Ministry. The Night Ministry is a Chicago-based organization that works to provide housing, health care, and overall human connection to people struggling with poverty or homelessness.

Last year, GSA was able to donate over 100 bags, so members of the club are very hopeful for this year’s donations. Specifically, Vice President of the club, junior Max Leavitt, is very excited for the kits that they are working on.

“Putting together these hygiene kits is something we work towards all year long-raising enough money to buy supplies that don’t get donated. Having donated over 100 kits last year, I have high hopes that we will easily exceed last year’s donations,” Leavitt said.

Members of the club are not the only ones who can help create these packages. Student donations are highly encouraged, and there are signs posted around the school about what is acceptable to donate. Donations can be dropped off in the IRC to club sponsor, Sherry Jo Baehr. Students and teachers can also donate money to help buy more supplies.

Baehr is also excited about the donations and kits that are being made this year.

“This is my favorite thing that we do all year. This project fuels us. This is something that is so important, and I think it really makes a difference,” Baehr said.

President Senior John Truong also has details about what students, as well as teachers, can donate.

“We have had teachers donate a bunch of goods, like toothbrushes and toothpaste. Travel size shampoos, conditioners, and lotions work as well. People often donate the mini-hotel ones. We use any monetary donations and club funds to buy socks and underwear as well,” Truong said.

The GSA club is collecting donations of money and supplies in the IRC until the end of April, so make sure to help out and donate.