Update on 2020 Remote Learning School Year

By Alli Lipsit, Staff Writer

Earlier today, Niles West principal Dr. Karen Ritter sent out the anticipated email that students had been waiting for, that contained information regarding the remainder of the school year.

In the email, Ritter clarified how grades will be handled in regards to remote learning days, explaining that students who had an “INC” (for incomplete) on their progress reports going into remote learning days, will have 30 days after the first day of the 2020-2021 school year to turn in missing assignments. This will allow students with a failing grade in a class the opportunity to bring their grade back up to a passing level.

As of now, the 2020-2021 school year is supposed to start on Aug. 12, which would give students with a grade marked “INC” until Sept. 23 to submit missing work.

For more information about grades marked “INC,” email your teacher, especially if you’re a senior, as this could affect your graduation requirements.

These graduation requirements have also been changed around, and although Niles West ultimately has control over these requirements, “the priority remains for students to complete courses successfully for college and career readiness,” said Ritter in her email to West students.

The school is planning on sending a separate email to seniors in regards to their graduation soon.

As the future for COVID-19 remains uncertain, the district has also decided to proceed with remote learning for summer school, with session one going from June 8 until June 26, and session two starting July 6 and ended July 24.

Lastly, the last day of the 2019-2020 school year, and the end of remote learning for the school year, will be on May 15, and there will be no second-semester finals this school year. By May 20, students should expect to have their grades finalized.

Dr. Ritter and Dr. Carmen Ayala, Illinois State Superintendent, also want students to be aware that there is a chance remote learning will continue through the 2020-2021 school year.

As the school and district continue to learn more information regarding the virus and how it will affect this school year and possibly the next, they will provide updates as needed.