Sabrina Nur: The Friendly Freshman

Sabrina Nur

Nur poses for a photo

By Gloria Kosir, Feature's Editor

Freshman Sabrina Nur is no stranger to change. Three years ago, Nur and her family moved from the bustling neighborhood of Edgewater into the quiet suburb of Lincolnwood. Even though the two are less than a fifteen minute drive away from each other, it was a world of a difference to her. She moved schools, friend groups, and zip codes. Now, she’s taking on Niles West, with one foot in front of the other and a head held high.

Nur’s family is one of the most precious things that are in her life. Since she was little, she understood the importance of family, and the sacrifices that one would make for their family.

My family [consists] of my mother and father who are both Bangali immigrants. They have high expectations and mindsets other people may not understand, but it makes me a better person, student, and leader. I have two sisters, Sabiha and Sarina. One’s 23 and one’s 12, which leaves me in the middle,” Nur said. Nur’s older sister has the biggest impact on her in a lot of different aspects. 

“My older sister is my biggest role model. She practically raised me and my younger sister when we lived in Chicago while still attending high school. She then went to DePaul and graduated early with a degree in Communication and Marketing. She’s now the youngest employee at her job, and works alongside people who are five to ten years older than her. So, she set the bar pretty high,” Nur said. Her strong and opinionated nature rubbed off on Nur, pushing her to be hardworking and passionate.

“Sabrina has always been there to stand up for all people. She’s really confident and never backs down from a challenge. Sabrina is also one of the sweetest people I know, and I’m honored to have her by my side,” freshman Emma Bennett said.

Moving from Chicago to Lincolnwood, Nur had to go through the stereotypical “new kid” routines. To her, the hardest part was learning the new dynamic of Lincolnwood and “getting used to how the people in the town acted, and how everything worked. Lincolnwood is so tight knit and small that it was actually quite easy to get to know people. It did take me about a year to genuinely build real friendships, but the ones I did make I think and hope are ones that will last,” Nur said. 

“She’s got such a contagious smile that just brightens your day. I’ve only known her for a couple of years but she’s by far one of the most amazing people I’ve met… She really is a great person to be around, always making people laugh and helping them out,” freshman Sabrina Islamaj, another one of Nur’s friends, said.

If given the choice to stay in Lincolnwood or move back to Chicago, Nur said that she would stay.

“Lincolnwood provides opportunity. SD74 provided more opportunities for future success than my old school would have. However, I do miss waking up next to the water and hearing the cars swerve off of Lake Shore Drive every morning. I miss the friends I’d been in the same class with since kindergarten, and I miss having to sleep in the same bed as all of my sisters. However, I like the comfort and doors that Lincolnwood opens up for me,” Nur said. Nur used to go to Newberry Math and Science Academy.

She also quickly adapted to the sudden changes that schools across the nation had to juggle last March. She finished her eighth grade year from home and started her high school experience from her bedroom. Even though she’s dealt with so many different obstacles, she’s found different ways to overcome them.

“It was quite easy [to get involved in clubs]. I heard about some of my clubs from friends I went to school with, and some I joined after hearing about them at curriculum night last winter. The survey that was sent out in the beginning of August was also very helpful,” Nur said. According to her, COVID-19 also gave her an advantage. “COVID made joining clubs significantly easier. I don’t have to worry about getting a ride home or being too busy because I’m home all day anyways. All I have to do is log onto zoom when my club starts and log off when it ends.”

Nur is a part of the Niles West Mock Atria team, orchestra, and PACE. Mock Trial has helped Nur with her public speaking, and helps to prepare her to be the public speaker that she hopes to be one day. She also enjoys PACE, where she can express her different political beliefs and learn from others.

I’ve always been really interested in politics. My family isn’t very political, but my sister and I are. We talk about politics for a good portion of the day. It’s a lot of fun, and I find politics very interesting… The most interesting part about PACE is listening to what other people think, and listening to why their opinions are different from mine. I get to hear other peoples stories and how they affect their opinions. I also get to hear about current events around the globe that don’t get enough coverage. It keeps me informed and up to date,” Nur said. 

Nur is very optimistic for her next four years at West. She hopes to make the biggest difference she can in making it a more positive environment, even if it’s just listening to students’ complaints via Zoom. She can’t wait to learn things in depth at West, which is her favorite part of high school, and continue to do her best.