West Boys Basketball Makes A Return

West Boys Basketball Makes A Return

By Daniel Navarro, Sports Editor

The last time Coach Mike Wasielewski and the boys basketball team took the court was back on  March 3rd of 2020, 343 days later they make their return against Deerfield High School in a win on their season opener with a score of 73-60. Junior Moses Leblanc shot well from the floor finishing the game with 28 points and being awarded player of the game.

This season brought new challenges to the program with all of the COVID protocols being put in place considering the state of the pandemic in Illinois.

“Protocols have affected everyone in that we have to comply with new rules and regulations for conducting practices and games. The biggest impact was our inability to hold real practices for the last year. We were only allowed to practice skills socially distanced. The lack of practice shows in the team’s execution. Games have also been strange with strict limitations on spectators. Friday night varsity games in our conference usually have good attendance with a lot of fans, but this year we play in gyms that are basically empty,” Coach Waz stated.

As for junior, Aidan Flowers, these new restrictions have made playing basketball a whole lot more difficult.

“It’s harder to breathe in masks and the atmosphere of the game is much more different with no crowd,” Flowers stated.

The Wolves are 2-8 overall this season having won both games against non conference teams. With two games against Glenbrook South remaining, the Wolves hope to finish the season on a strong note.

“This season has definitely been a new experience for all of us. With the season only being 6 weeks and only having a couple practices prior to our first game, our team had to learn quickly to adapt. A couple weeks ago we were sitting on the couch wondering if we would have summer basketball and now the season is coming to an end. I believe us Wolves will finish this season strong as we work this upcoming off-season,” junior AJ Herrera stated.

Tune in to the varsity squad tonight and watch them take on the 12-1 Glenbrook South Warriors at 7:30 pm for there last away game of the season.