What Niles West’s Sanitation Protocols for Hybrid Learning Entail

By Celina Saba, Staff Writer

March 1 marked the first day of hybrid learning, and with that, the need for safety procedures and precautions. The following protocols were implemented for the safety of students and staff:

• Temperature checks and COVID symptom checking at each entrance
  • Directional arrows in hallways and stairwells to maximize social distancing
  • Mask mandate for all students and staff

Each classroom has: 

• Socially distanced and numbered desks
  • Plexiglass separating the teacher from the hybrid students
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Sanitizing wipes 
  • Sanitizing spray 
  • Paper towel 
  • Offices have plexiglass barriers to separate workers and visitors. 

With these recent procedures, individuals attending in person had to adjust to the new building flow. 

“During the first week, everyone had to adjust to the directional arrows and which stairwell goes up and down, but the procedures and protocols have gone well,” Assistant Principal of Operations Steve Parnther said. “Our students and staff have done a great job adjusting to hybrid! We have not had any complaints. I think our students and staff have been appreciative of the sanitation process.”

Students and staff are utilizing the supplies provided to them for their safety. 

“My students are doing great with the safety precautions. They all wear their masks and socially distance from one another. The science department provided each room with multiple bottles of Lysol so students can clean their desks when they come in and again when they leave,” chemistry teacher Brittany Wu said. “I have had no issues with the safety precautions being implemented and followed.”

Many teachers have expressed their opinion on the new sanitation procedures. 

“I think the safety precautions are quite safe – – my students seem fine with it – – I guess I am fine with it. It is still a little bit like the twilight zone,” English teacher Sharon Swanson said. “I happen to think that when all of the plexiglass, signage, etc., was put in place, Marcus Holleran did an amazing job – – however now that things are lightening up a bit some of it seems excessive. Then again, that is hindsight.”

With some students returning for hybrid learning, teachers have had to adapt their class material and assignments to maintain everyone’s safety.

According to sophomore Victoria Kutkovska, “With the pandemic, unfortunately, there isn’t much cooking done in my Gourmet and International Cuisine class by the students themselves. I go in person to class, but instead of cooking, we watch videos of people preparing dishes and fill out a worksheet as we do. I believe that while not cooking isn’t as fun, it is safer for everyone in the class.”