Top 5 Sites for Online Thrifting

By Gabrielle Feliciano, Staff Writer

With the end of the school year fast approaching, seniors have begun to prepare for post-high school plans. Whether those plans include staying home or moving out, the following are, in my opinion, the five best sites for online thrifting ranked.

5. Amazon Warehouse

Launched in 1994, Amazon is known for its wide selection of goods, ranging from categories like the Pharmacy category to the Health & Household category. Amazon Warehouse, launched at a later date, is Amazon’s used section, with the same variety as Amazon when it comes to items of all categories. Thus, Amazon Warehouse users can buy and sell items at a discount with the same benefits as Amazon users.

4. Depop

Launched in 2011, Depop gained a reputation for the à la mode nature of both its users and its users’ clothing. With more than 21 million users (and about 90% of those users being Generation Z), Depop is now one of the most popular sites for online thrifting as a whole. In addition to clothing, Depop users are known for selling art, collectibles, and the like.

3. thredUp

Launched in 2009, thredUp was one of the first sites to popularize online secondhand shopping— also known as online thrifting. thredUp hosts a combination of varying prices and varying categories, with discounts on items going as high as 90% off. ThredUp also allows its users to search for items in a particular color, pattern, and/or material, enhancing user experience throughout the online marketplace.

2. Poshmark

Also launched in 2011, Poshmark carries a range of items of both varying prices and varying categories. Like thredUp, Poshmark allows its users to search for specific items, with search options including an item’s brand, size, and color. However, Poshmark also allows its users to barter within the site itself, with buyers and sellers alike welcome to negotiate prices via their offer system.

1. Etsy

Launched in 2005, Etsy carries both hand and machine-made items from around the world. From art to clothing to furniture, Etsy’s Used section boasts a variety of goods available for sale. Etsy embraces the individuality of its users, supporting buyers and sellers alike. Item categories on Etsy include Clothing & Shoes, Home & Living, Art & Collectibles, and much, much more.