A New Beginning For West Football

By Daniel Navarro, Sports Editor

For the first time in almost seventeen months, many of us are returning back to the halls of Niles West. With our return to school, we also welcome the return of Fall sports. What makes this season even more exciting is that we’re welcoming a new head coach to the football program, Nick Torresso.

After being recruited out of Schaumburg high school, Torresso comes with multiple years of playing experience at the college level being a starter for multiple games on both sides of the line for Bowling Green State University in the MAC (Mid-American Conference).

Torresso expects to bring his experience at Bowling Green to rebuild the football program here at West.

“When I got to Bowling Green they were in a rebuilding stage themselves.  They were trying to reestablish what their identity was and I could definitely bring that experience to West as we work to define what we would like our football program to be as we move forward this year,” Torresso said.

Torresso is looking forward to creating a program that students will remember and be proud of even after their time at West. When asked what his expectations were for this first year he replied,  “My only goal is to get with the team and define what success is. To me, to be successful is to have an experience that especially the seniors will be proud of and create an environment where players feel like they can come back to. A lot of people are gonna be focused on wins and losses and I understand that, but one of our philosophies here is that we are focused on the process and not the result. If we can look back and figure out how we got where we end up, then I think that we’ll be successful. I want these guys to enjoy being here and be proud to wear the Niles West football jersey.” Torresso stated.

Bringing energy to the program is something that has caught the eye of sophomore linebacker and running back Joseph Pantazis.

“Entering the team this year with a new head coach caught me off guard at first, but coach Torresso brings a lot of energy to practices every day which is needed to create a winning environment,” Pantazis stated.

Senior wide receiver and cornerback Samuel Burns enjoys working with Torresso and thinks he’s a good fit for the program.

“Torresso brings an intensity about him, a deep knowledge of football, and really just a spark that the program needs not just for this year but something to build on for the future. He’s been running practice at a much faster pace, which has really benefited the team as a whole,” Burns said.

The return of football has been really exciting for Torresso.

“I’m excited for football to be back. I know after last year with everything going on it’s been tough for everybody. I am looking forward to seeing them play, to be outside, and to be back together.” Torresso stated.

The varsity football team will play at Maine East next Friday, Aug. 27 at 7:00 P.M.