Bethany Thai: The Ultimately Competitive Student

Bethany Thai posing with her friend

By Isabela Gil, Staff Writer

The room echoes as junior Bethany Thai takes a stand. She holds the microphone firmly as she speaks with levels of confidence. With little time on her hands, she manages to woo the audience once again and wins the “game” of debate. Growing up, Thai always found herself craving some competition and coming out on top.

Thai feels that her competitiveness defines her. She is in many clubs including debate, high fidelity and track and field, all of which have various competitive components. Thai hopes that her competitive outlets will set her up to become a lawyer in the future.

“Being competitive can have negative outcomes at times, but it definitely has shaped my life from my schedule to my life outside of school,” Thai said. Her favorite club is debate because it gives her a perfect opportunity to practice her competitiveness. “While debate is definitely a lot of fun, part of the reason I continue it is because it’s kind of like a game and it’s addicting,” Thai said.

Furthermore, debate, high fidelity (Niles West A Cappella group), and track and field are all competitive activities. The main goal is to win.

Not only does Thai love debate, but she’s also passionate about Asian American Pacific Islander civil rights (AAPI), liberties and environmental protection. “I hope to eventually become a lawyer or be involved in governmental policies given my elaborate involvement in debate,” Thai said. “Becoming a lawyer is also something that has been on my mind for a while but as of right now I’m just trying to maintain good grades and trying to balance a social life.”

“I’ve known Bethany since 5th grade and she has always been one of the most hardworking, eager, and ambitious students. Always going above and beyond for everything she does,” junior Lilia Djeddour said.

Outside of the world of academics, Thai enjoys crocheting. “I actually used to crochet a lot before I got really busy with school. I would make little projects like scarves and hats, and I think the biggest thing I crocheted was a blanket,” Thai said.

Thai is also a freshmen mentor where she helps plan freshman orientation and gives freshmen advice on any high school problems they might have throughout the school year.

“Bethany is a freshman mentor with me and watching how she interacts and helps the younger grades makes you realize how kind of a person she is,” Djeddour said.

“Bethany is one of the kindest and sweetest people I know. She always goes out of her way to prioritize her friends and manages to put a smile on everyone’s face. She’s also super hard working and devoted to everything she commits to,” junior and friend of Thai’s Evelyn Herbert said.