Opinion: Best Things About Fall

By Alicia Malek, Academics Editor

Fall is right around the corner, and there is so much to look forward to.

Here at West, clubs have just begun, and I am eager to be involved. I am especially excited for DECA, Math Team and Chem Club. After a year and a half of remote learning, I am excited to reconnect with friends and attend social events. Some events I’m looking forward to include the Battle of the Junior Highs event sponsored by DECA and the first competition for the Math Team.

Additionally, as Niles West prepares for Homecoming week, I’m excited for the Niles West spirit. Although it won’t be quite like it used to be, there is still much to look forward to. I enjoy changing up my style, building excitement, and supporting our athletes for their upcoming game. Out of all the Spirit Week themes we have had, PJ Day has always been my favorite because it is a relaxing and stress-free way to start off the week. I can’t wait to see the themes for this year.

Many students enjoy attending the Fright Fest event at Six Flags as well, but I prefer decorating the house. Every year my family decorates pumpkins together, and although scraping pumpkin puree with my bare hands is gross, I love seeing the end result. On Halloween, we put our pumpkins outside on our porch with lit candles inside and wait for the trick-or-treaters. Handing out candy is one of my favorite parts because I enjoy seeing what costumes the little trick-or-treaters are wearing. When I was little, my family designed our own costumes, and these past years I’ve been helping my younger siblings create their own.

Thanksgiving is just as memorable for my family. I love preparing dinner together and sitting down to enjoy the delicious meal of ham and turkey, buttered corn, creamy mashed potatoes, sweet cranberry sauce and savory stuffing. Some years, my relatives come over for dinner and the feast is even greater. We sit down at the table, laughing and sharing stories.

Above all, the best part of fall is simply the change in weather: the gentle breeze, the crisp, colorful leaves, the warm temperature. It’s the best time to ride bikes, walk my dog, and go out with friends. With this perfect weather, I can focus on relaxing instead of looking for some way to cool off.

One thing that I know most of us are not looking forward to is the PSAT Tests and college applications, but thankfully those scary thoughts will be out of our minds and we can enjoy the rest of the wonderful fall season and all that comes with it!