Discrepancy Between Niles North and West Homecomings

Andrea Espino

Girls holding their heels as the night comes to an end.

By Gloria Kosir, Editor in Chief

Niles North’s Director of Student Activities Caroline Benjamin released North’s 2021 Homecoming plans in a Tuesday, Sept. 14 email to North’s student body, the details of which include an area for dancing, a DJ and semi-formal attire. North and West will have a similar festival approach for Homecoming, though there are differences in date, timing and dancing.

Acting Director of Student Activities at West Terri Laux and Benjamin discussed homecoming celebrations and agreed to offer the same events, leading Laux to address “rumors” about a dance at North on Tuesday, Sept. 14.

“We just want to make sure that everyone is aware of the fact that both Niles West and Niles North are providing the same type of event for Homecoming this year. Niles North is not having a dance so that rumor can be put to rest,” Laux wrote in the email.

However, after receiving a push from North students to have more of a “Homecoming-feel,” Benjamin decided to add a semi-formal dress code into the mix. In addition to the dress code, a platform will be added underneath the tent to protect students wearing heels as well as the grass.

West and North rented tents from the same supplier, and both Homecomings will provide the same activities otherwise, including a DJ, carnival and lawn games.

There is one more difference between North’s and West’s Homecomings: North’s will take place Saturday, Oct. 2 at 5 p.m., whereas West’s festival will be Friday, Oct. 8 during the football games. North’s festivities are scheduled to conclude at 8 p.m., but West’s will run later into the evening.

“We extended it to end a little bit later, like at 10 p.m., because the [football games] usually don’t last that long. If kids want to come out after they get done, they’re more than welcome. That’s why we made [Homecoming] a little bit later than probably what we normally [would have],” Laux said.

Benjamin explained that the decision to host Homecoming on a Saturday evening was because of spacing and dressing issues. North doesn’t have the facilities or faculty to host two events at once, and according to Benjamin, it didn’t seem reasonable for students to dress in semi-formal attire and stand in the bleachers.

Neither school will host Homecoming pep assemblies, although Homecoming week will be similar to prior years with spirit days and hallway decorations.