Boys’ Golf Team Finds Their Way To Sectionals

The+2021+Boys+golf+team+that+will+be+going+to+regionals+on+Monday.+

The 2021 Boys’ golf team that will be going to regionals on Monday.

By Daniel Navarro, Sports Editor

After a tough regional competition, the varsity boys’ golf team has found their way to the IHSA sectionals tournament, having 8 players qualify. This is the first time where the entire team has qualified as a whole, and senior captain Jack Bollinger is happy to have led the way scoring a 75 and finishing 2nd overall at regionals.

“It was really exciting to qualify for sectionals as a team, it  being the first time in Niles West history, so that’s huge. I’m thankful for my teammates and coaches that helped get to the point we’re at. This just shows that the constant hard work in the summer and off-season hasn’t been for nothing and it shown in our individual scores,” Bollinger stated.

Making it this far is exciting for Bollinger and the team, although the work isn’t finished yet.

“I am looking forward to sectionals. I believe that making it to state is very possible, we just have to take it one hole at a time. Getting the chance to compete at this stage as a whole team is impressive nonetheless, but the work doesn’t end here,” Bollinger said.

As for guidance counselor and boys’ varsity golf coach Mitch Stern, not playing your opponents is something key to acknowledge for success on the course.

“I just want them to go out there and compete, you’re playing against the golf course, you’re not playing against your opponent. You can’t control what your opponent does in golf. I want them to focus and manage, it’s a new golf course, we haven’t played there apart from Saturday, so on Monday they’re gonna have to use their notes. They’ve all got game, they just gotta compete,” Stern stated.

“The expectation has always been to play our best golf, you can’t control what anyone else does, you don’t even know who’s in your regional at first. I always think that end results happen due to hard work and making sure that your performing at your best at that time of year, and we had a really good day at regionals, and hopefully we’ll have another one on Monday,” Stern said.

As for Bollinger’s teammate, Adrien Herrera, advancing this far was worth the wait.

“Making it to sectionals for the first time in this program’s history is such an honor. After a long and interesting 4 years of golf and high school, it’s great to be a part of history as a senior, and move on to sectionals,” Herrera stated.

The team will be competing this Monday at the Prairie Bluff Golf Course in Lockport in hopes of reaching the IHSA state competition.