Niles West’s Very Own Troy Bolton: Adrien Herrera

Campaign picture Herrera used when running for class president.

By Jessica Palmer, Staff Writer

The spotlight shines down on him as he makes his way across the stage, his a cappella team right by his side. He runs off the stage and goes straight under a new set of bright lights, but this time it’s on the basketball court. If you’ve seen the movie “High School Musical”, it might remind you of a particular scene, but really it’s just one of the daily occurrences in senior Adrien Herrera’s high school life.

“Coming into high school, I wasn’t expecting to be a part of the fine arts. I had an open spot in my schedule, so I joined choir, and I still wasn’t expecting to go into A Capella and stuff like that. But I think it was during the fall or the winter concert, where I saw Echo Effect perform, and I could see the energy they had and knew I wanted to be a part of that. So my sophomore year, I decided to audition and I’m so glad that I did,” Herrera said.

Being a part of the Niles West a cappella group, Echo Effect, has made a significant impact on Herrera.

“A Capella has definitely been an outlet and safe space for me. I’m definitely able to let it all out there when I’m on the stage and can express every single one of my emotions when singing. I have also met so many people that have been there for me, and have been able to stand beside me while I’m going through stuff,” Herrera said.

Many people in the music department at Niles West have made a difference in Herrera’s life, but one person, in particular, stands out.

“I think the person that has made the biggest difference in my life is Mr. Alexander, who is my A Capella sponsor. Mr. Alexander has given me a place to go whenever I need it. He has given me guidance throughout my four years in high school. Even my freshman year, when I wasn’t in A Capella, I knew he was someone I could go over to and have a conversation with when I needed to get something off my chest. That relationship only grew as I continued into high school, and now I really know that if I need something, I don’t even have to hesitate to go over to his office and ask him a question,” Herrera said.

The feeling is mutual between the two, as Carl Alexander remembers his first impression of Herrera.

“I remember all the guys in choir talking about how energetic and cool this one freshman was. I had to see this energy for myself. I came into the choir room and was greeted with good vibes and a love for his craft that radiated in the room. I knew that he would be something special and a leader in due time,” Alexander wrote.

Not only has he made connections in the a cappella world, but has been an important figure on the Niles West basketball team. Teammate and friend Owais Aslam expresses Herrera’s role on the team.

“AJ has great senior leadership, and really leaves his heart on the court. He keeps a great mindset throughout games, whether we are up or down, and pushes through adversity well. He definitely carved himself a unique role that you don’t see often on most teams and is a valuable contributor to our wins,” Aslam said.

Participating in sports at Niles West is a challenge but comes with many rewards that are worth the effort.

“Being a part of sports has definitely challenged me physically and mentally. It can be draining while going through a really long practice or a tough loss. It’s about that mental toughness side, where you have to surpass and fight through the adversity,” Herrera said. “And again, similar to A Capella, has given me a group of people that are going to battle together fully knowing the difficulties we face during practice and games.”

Herrera’s passion also goes into being a great person and friend.

“AJ is a pretty great friend. He is very understanding, caring and honestly hanging out with him is always different. Sometimes he and I go on little late night run and just talk about life and what’s happening with each other. We have been very close friends since going into high school together and it’s always memorable moments with him. We did a lot of fun things as we ran together for office this year, we’d run against each other sometimes too, that’s always fun to compete with him. He is a great guy and I’m glad that he is part of my life,” senior Rabee Ahmad said.

Throughout high school, Herrera has grown and learned a lot through all of his experiences.

“AJ has grown leaps and bounds as a singer, performer, athlete and most importantly as a human being. His care for his community and his neighbor shows on the basketball court with this team,” Alexander wrote. “His desire to do his best shows up on stage and with how he helps his friends out of the classroom. I am proud to know a student leader who is truly about what he says he is about. It is hard to find that kind of earnest in the world these days. That’s why I appreciate our relationship, and I will miss him sorely when he graduates.”

Not only is Herrera a part of the basketball team, but participates in golf and track and field at Niles West. You can even find him participating in homeroom mentors, National Honor Society, student government and choir.