Roll the Red Carpet Out, Gabriel Daoud is Here

Gabriel+Dauod+%28left%29+and+Emily+Trinh+%28right%29+wearing+one+of+Dauods+corsets+.++

Gabriel Dauod (left) and Emily Trinh (right) wearing one of Dauods corsets .

By Emily Chin, Managing Editor

Welcome to Project Runway! Location: Niles West. Junior Gabriel Daoud has brought the red carpet to the halls of Niles West. Utilizing COVID-19 as a time to generate ideas and create, Daoud started up his own fashion line called GABRIEL, which currently sells corset tops.

“With the popularity of corset tops, I thought it would be a great idea to recreate one. Especially a top that you can lace,” Daoud said.

The love for fashion didn’t just start during the time spent in quarantine, but at a young age. “I first got into fashion when I was around seven years old. I didn’t do much with it until my sophomore year,” Daoud said. “I learned how to sew from my mom and sister when I was 10. A few years later my dad taught me how to use a sewing machine.”

The process of bringing the brand to the public eye took three short months.

“I came up with the idea for my self titled brand in March of 2021 after sewing a prototype of my corset. After finishing the top, I began to realize that the idea of a fashion brand had potential. I wanted to be able to project my artistic vision while making others feel confident. April of 2021 was dedicated to planning out my brand and sewing corset tops. In May, I was able to make my brand public. After taking photos of my friends modeling in my corset tops, I posted them to my brand’s Instagram,” Daoud said.

Inspired by Vivienne Westwood’s corsets from the 90s, Daoud recreated the top, but put his own spin on it. All of the designs can be found on Instagram at gabrielfofficial.me. In fact, you might find a familiar face modeling Daoud’s corsets.

“Gabriel is one of the most talented people I know. From his fashion designing to singing, he really amazes me everyday. I was lucky enough to model for his first clothing line. Not only did I love it, but he made sure that everything was perfect so I felt comfortable wearing it. He also did the photography on the photos as well. Everything he does just shows how much of a hard worker he is and the determination he has,” friend, junior Natasha Dhamavasi said.

If you’ve seen Daoud walking the halls of West, it’s not difficult to see that he’s got an eye for fashion. Much of his own inspirations derive from current pop culture and high fashioned looks.

“Some of my favorite designers are Thierry Mugler and Vivienne Westwood. I would describe my style as feminine with small elements collected from previous eras of history,” Daoud said.

Those who have noticed Daoud’s style can describe it as modern, confident and trendy.

“His outgoing personality shines through his art and new fashion line. I interpret his work with a more modernized mindset, which is what seems to be his style. Gabriel is a very hardworking individual and is always ahead of the game. He knows what he wants and isn’t afraid to tackle new concepts,” senior Leighla Sedghi said.

Beyond the artistic talent Daoud shows in fashion, he also excels in other areas of the arts. “I enjoy creating art. I mostly work in 2D and my favorite medium is acrylic paint! I am also in Niles West’s mixed acapella group Tonal Eclipse. I earned my spot in the group during my freshman year. Ever since sophomore year, I have been managing Tonal’s Instagram,” Daoud said.

Focusing primarily on his artwork, Daoud has a lot in store for the future.