Davee Flowers: A Dedicated Player on and off the Court

Theodore Kossnar

Davee Flowers drives in past a defender.

By Katarina Pljevaljcic, Staff Writer

He goes in for the three pointer, spotlights on him; he releases the ball from his hands, hoping it will beat the buzzer. The score is tied and this point will either make or break the game. Everyone is depending on sophomore Davee Flowers as he makes the game winning shot.

“I didn’t really know how to feel after the game winner, I was too shocked to celebrate. Everyone rushed to me and all I could do in the moment was smile,” Flowers said.

Before he became one of the top varsity scorers for the Wolves, Davee developed an early passion for playing basketball.

“I’ve been playing Basketball since 2nd grade. My brothers are my biggest role models. When I was growing up, they pushed me a lot to get better. All of my brothers went to Niles West, one of them, Aaron, won all conference which [made me] really want to follow [in] his footsteps, ” Flowers said.

This year, he was fortunate enough to play a season on the same team as his brother, senior Aidan Flowers.

“It’s fun playing with my little brother. It’s like we think the same when we are on the court and see eye to eye on every decision that is made,” A. Flowers said.

Not only does he have a strong connection with his family, but his friends as well. His friends and basketball teammates Ned Lagman and Adrien Herrera express Flowers’s role on the team.

“One of his best qualities is that he is very hard on his teammates for doing something wrong and while it might sound bad, he always criticizes us in a good way, ” Lagman said.

Senior Adrien Herrera speaks of his court presence, “On and off the court he is goofy, poised, and driven. He’s a hard worker who makes sure that not only he’s improving, but his teammates as well.”

His teammates aren’t the only ones who think of him highly, so does his coach Michael Wasielewski.

“[Davee is] a very skilled player for a sophomore. His shooting, passing, and ball handling is pretty advanced for his age. His best quality is his competitiveness because he likes to compete. When he is in a drill at practice with his teammates, he really is committed to winning the drill,” Wasielewski said.

As a young student athlete, Flowers still has the time to improve and continue advancing his basketball career, not just as a player, but a teammate.