Kick-off to the Super Bowl LVI

Super+Bowl+LVI+will+be+played+at+Sofi+Stadium+on+Feb.+13%2C+2022.+

Icon Sportswire

Super Bowl LVI will be played at Sofi Stadium on Feb. 13, 2022.

By John Przekota, Staff Writer

A record-breaking 449 million dollars was made off one of the world’s biggest sporting events in this past year, this event is otherwise known as the Super Bowl.

This year, two former number one draft picks will face off against one another in the battle for the Lombardi Trophy. For the second straight year, a team playing in the Super Bowl is hosting the Super Bowl. The Los Angeles Rams are looking to become the second team in a row to win the Super Bowl at their own stadium. As for the Cincinnati Bengals, they are trying to win their first Super Bowl in franchise history. 

The Bengals entered this season with 1-150 odds to win the Super Bowl. A successful off-season called for a surprise pick in the draft that had the NFL world in shock. That person being, Ja’Marr Chase, wide receiver from Louisiana State University. Chase ended up having one of the most successful rookie campaigns the league has seen in a while after ending with 1,455 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns in the regular season. Chase was the Bengals primary receiver and broke the rookie single-game receiving record in week 18 with 11 receptions 266 yards and 3 touchdowns. Joe Burrow, the first overall pick in the 2020 draft, came back this year after tearing his ACL and threw for over 4,000 yards and 34 touchdowns. His ability to bounce back after his gruesome injury and lead his team to the big game has geared him towards winning comeback player of the year. 

The Rams coming into this season had Super Bowl expectations ahead of them after trading for quarterback Matthew Stafford. After a hot start, the Rams were also able to acquire all-pro edge rusher Von Miller, from the Denver Broncos and wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr from the Cleveland Browns. Both of these in-season pickups have been vital towards the Rams’ Super bowl run and will continue to play a factor on Sunday.   

For sophomore Nick Majcher, he feels that the Rams are gonna take the trophy home although you should never count out the Bengals. 

“I believe the Rams are going to win, however, the Bengals are very hot right now and could always make a large comeback. I feel like the best teams in the league are not in the Superbowl but the Bengals and Rams both deserve to be there. Whatever team wins deserves it,” Majcher said 

Some hope to see Stafford succeed after many losing seasons with the Detroit Lions.

“As for the Rams, I would like to see Stafford win because of his many years of suffering in Detroit and I have become a big fan of Cooper Kupp and what he has accomplished this year,” social studies teacher Scott Baum said.

Senior Harun Senderovic is in strong belief that the Bengals will bring home the Lombardi trophy Sunday night.

“The Bengals have been underdogs in the majority of big games they’ve played this season, so this Sunday is no different. Zac Taylor is an amazing head coach and has the ability to set up our defense in good positions to succeed. Players like Vonn Bell and Trey Hendrickson need to step up on big downs to rally the team together and come up with big stops,” Senderovic stated. 

As for the injury report for both teams, the Rams have multiple key players listed as questionable. Starting tight end Tyler Higbee, running back Cam Akers, starting safety Taylor Rapp, and wide receiver Van Jefferson. As for the Bengals, they could lose starting tight end C.J. Uzomah. No matter who plays or not this game will still be a thriller. 

Catch this thriller of a game Sunday, February 13th at 5 o’clock on NBC.