Al Ghala Mariam Al Radi: a Journey to State

Al Ghala Mariam Al Radi takes first place at sectionals.

By Ella Lindemann, Features Editor

This season’s sectional champion, junior Al Ghala Mariam Al Radi, has worked hard to wrestle her way to the top. Al Radi was named sectional champion in her weight class and will go to the first ever IHSA state tournament for girl’s wrestling.

“My number one goal is to do my best and try my hardest. I also have a goal to place at the state tournament for my weight class because that would be a huge accomplishment.” Al Radi said. 

Going into sectionals, Al Radi wasn’t sure what would happen, but she was confident she would make it to the finals.

“I could see myself winning and I really wanted to win, but you never know what the competition will be,” Al Radi stated. 

Al Radi has won every match this season except for one but ended up getting her revenge in the sectional tournament.

“Coming back to the sectional tournament, I was hoping to meet the one wrestler that had beat me this season. I was determined to beat her. I walked away with a win and that was a great feeling!” Al Radi said. 

Al Radi’s excitement can be shown by many after her matches.

“It was amazing to see her smile after she won, you could see how much she wanted it,” one of Al Ghala’s wrestling coach Anthony Genovesi said.

“Working with Al Ghala has been an absolute blast. I am continually learning from her in so many ways both on and off the mat. I feel so grateful to have been able to have a front row seat in watching her grow and overcome obstacles this season. There is no mistaking, she is a force to be reckoned with,” another one of Al Ghala’s wrestling coaches Caitlin Casey said.

Al Ghala has shown strength, resilience and determination this season.

Al Radi’s first encounter with wrestling was in 8th grade when her physical education teacher recommended that she try it. When she started wrestling freshman year, she did it with a friend in her PE class.

“I was nervous to start wrestling, but I had a friend that helped make that transition to the team. I did not know a single move or any of the rules, but we laughed and worked together. Now, I continue to wrestle because I really like the sport and the challenge.”

“After Al Ghala took 4th in the IWCOA girls’ state tournament last year, she was not happy with her performance. That moment showed us that her goal was not reached. This year, you can see that she is learning more techniques every day and wants to be great,” Genovesi said.

Now as a junior, Al Radi continues to perfect her technique. Genovesi recognizes Al Radi’s dedication and effort.

“Getting to know Al Radi has been a tremendous upside during the difficult times we live in. She is an amazing young lady, and we all want the very best for her,” Genovesi said.

“I am so proud for all the female athletes I have worked with this year and am so proud to be able to sit mat-side as they trail-blaze this historical path for women’s wrestling”, Casey said.

Al Radi will compete at State Friday, Feb. 25 and Saturday, Feb. 26 at the Grossinger Motor Arena in Bloomington, Illinois. The state send-off will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 23 at the Oakton lobby at 3:30 p.m.