Once Upon a Time Succeeds

After much anticipation, ABC’s “Once Upon a Time,” premiered with success. The series starts with the wedding of Snow White (played by Ginnifer Goodwin) and Prince Charming (played by Josh Dallas). They think that they are going to get their happy ending, but the party is crashed by the Evil Queen who threatens to curse them. This worries Snow White, and she decides to visit Rumplestiltskin in jail. He tells her that the Queen will send everyone to a place where happy endings do no exist, and in 28 years, Snow White’s daughter, Emma, will return to save them.

Flash forward to present-day Boston where Emma is a tough bail bondsman and a bounty hunter. She celebrates her birthday alone in her apartment, but suddenly, there’s a knock on her door, and she is greeted by a 10-year-old named Henry who claims to be her son that she gave up for adoption. She obviously wasn’t expecting him, and she pushes him away. As it turns out, he’s from Storybrooke, Maine. Emma drives him back, but while in the car, he shows her a book of fairy tales that he says are real.

When they get to Storybrooke, Henry tells Emma that everyone there are characters from the fairy tales, but they have no recollection of their real identities. Take Henry’s psychiatrist for example, in the fairy tale he is actually Jiminy Cricket. Time is also frozen in Storybrooke, and the people there are unable to leave. Emma takes him back to his adoptive mother’s house. Her name is Regina Mills and she is the mayor of Storybrooke and in the fairy tale, she is the Evil Queen. This begins a bad relationship between Emma and Regina, and this is also the beginning of a very interesting fairy tale.

“Once Upon a Time” was a really good show to watch. The writers did an excellent job of adding fairy tale characters such as Pinnochio, Jiminy Cricket, and of course, Snow White and Prince Charming. Although there were moments where I was confused with the story, my questions were answered at the end of the episode. I also like Emma; it’s evident that she has a tough exterior at the beginning, but when she spends time with Henry, he softens her up. I like the take of the dark side of these stories. The show teaches me that it’s not always about happy endings. Snow White wasn’t just some damsel in distress and some random prince comes out of the blue to save her. There are a lot of intense moments that could’ve been ruined by the some overused plot lines that we see nowadays, but the writers avoided that.

I would recommend that everyone watches this show because it’s something different. After all the singing and dancing competitions, crime shows, and the popular doctor dramas, I’m glad to see something new like this. Even though the season is now three episodes in, there is still time to catch up. You can go online and see the fairy tale unravel.

“Once Upon a Time” airs Sundays at 7:00pm