Boys’ Volleyball Sets up for a New Season

Niles+West+crowds+together+during+a+team+time+out.+

Niles West crowds together during a team time out.

By Daniel Navarro, Sports Editor

Spring is around the corner, which means that the Niles West boys’ varsity volleyball squad is kicking off their season very soon. Enthusiasm runs through the squad as the team prepares for a successful season. After finishing 14-10 last season, the Wolves hope to build on that and improve.

Expectations have for senior captain, Charlie Podgorny this season are high.

“For this season, I expect us to bring home a regional title and to be able to compete against all the schools in our conference.”

Senior Brandon Chi acknowledges the teams’ area of improvement in order to succeed.

“I hope we improve on our passing and serving. We seemed a little weak in those areas of the game, and if we can become solid passers and servers, we should be able to control how most of our games go.”

Team and individual goals have been set for the season.

“Some team goals I want this year is to really have great chemistry with my teammates and really have fun throughout the season. Individually, I hope to always become a better player and because it’s my last season, I hope to have fun with my friends I’ve made along the way,” Chi said.

A full season ahead of the team has garnered a lot of excitement for head coach Andrew Roche.

“I am most excited about having a full season with the program. Two years ago, our season was canceled on the fourth day. Last year, we had a shortened season. This year, we are back to a full 35 match season with a group of guys that love the game and wanna win,” Roche stated.

Focusing on the basics of the sport is something Roche has acknowledged after last season’s frenzy.

“A natural consequence to a shortened season is fewer touches and less experience. I do believe there were a lot of students that chose not to play a sport last year due to the uncertainties. That has hurt the developmental process of individuals and the teams for this upcoming season. It is more important for this season to drill the fundamentals and build our team chemistry early on,” Roche said.

The Wolves kick off their season on March 22nd against Notre Dame College Prep in a non-conference match-up.

“I hope we can open the season with a dominant performance because we’ve been working really hard in practice preparing for this upcoming season,” Podgorny stated.