FIFA and UEFA Suspend Russia From Competitions Until Further Notice

Russian Men’s National Team

By Emma Schieffer, Opinions Editor

As the conflict between Russia and Ukraine continues, both FIFA and UEFA have made the decision to remove Russia’s national teams from all forms of competition. Russia will have no involvement in the upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifying matches. Spartak Moscow, a club in the Russian Premier League, has been removed from UEFA’s Europa League. Russian players will still be allowed to play for their club teams, this suspension is only on national teams.

FIFA and UEFA had been considering penalizing Russia with a temporary ban on using the country’s flag, name or anthem. The suspension comes one day after these initial penalties had been announced.

“Football if fully united here and in full solidarity with all the people affected in Ukraine. Both [FIFA and UEFA’s] Presidents hope that the situation in Ukraine will improve significantly and rapidly so that football can again be a vector for unity and peace amongst people,” FIFA and UEFA said in a joint statement.

Poland boycotted their World Cup qualifying match against Russia that was set to occur on Mar. 24. Sweden and the Czech Republic both boycotted playing against Russia as they could both be the teams that would be set to play Russia if they beat Poland. Poland will receive a bye and face the winner of the match between Sweden and the Czech Republic.

Saint Petersburg has also been removed as a hosting city for this year’s Champions League final, with Paris becoming the new host city. RB Leipzig will also be given a bye into the quarterfinals for the Europa League.

The Russian Women’s National team will also be affected by this ruling. They have been removed from the European Championship this summer.

Other sports federations including the U.S. Soccer Federation, the International Tennis Federation, the World Curling Federation and the International Ice Hockey Federation have been denouncing Russia’s attack. With the exception of the U.S. Soccer Federation, these sports associations have been canceling competitions with Russian teams. The International Olympic Committee urged all sporting bodies to cancel all matches against Russia among all sports.

The Russian Football Union (R.F.U.) is against the ban and will try to take legal action against FIFA and UEFA.

“Such actions split the international sports community, which has always adhered to the principles of equity, mutual respect and independence from politics. We reserve the right to challenge the decision of FIFA and UEFA in accordance with international sports law,” the R.F.U. said.

“I think it’s the right thing that they did that, it can really send out the message that even huge corporations are disagreeing on what Russia is doing. It shows that nobody wants any part in the war,” sophomore Cristian Guerrero said.