Niles West Athletics for Incoming Freshman

By Gia Bexes, Staff Writer

As the incoming freshman learn their way around the building, they are also gearing up to begin their high school experience. These new students are ready to take on the life of a high school student, most being ready to get involved in sports and activities. Following the recent Curriculum and Activities night that took place at West on Thursday, Feb. 24, incoming freshman were able to find activities that suit their interests—mainly bringing attention to the sports teams.

At Niles West, there is a variety of different sports teams that students can take part in. Boys sports include baseball, basketball, bowling, cross country, football, golf, gymnastics, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, track and field, volleyball and water polo. Girls sports include basketball, bowling, cross country, dance, golf, gymnastics, soccer, softball, swimming & diving, tennis, track and field, volleyball and water polo. Coed sports offered include bass fishing, cheerleading and strength & conditioning.

High school athletics are a very good way to get involved at school as well as being active. Some students feel like they won’t find “their sport,” however, I can guarantee that students will find it here at West.

“Sports at Niles West are so much fun and such a great experience. Through dance team, I was able to make so many bonds and memories that I will remember and have for my lifetime. I have met my best friends and have grown so much from being on a sport,” senior Stella Frake said.

One thing to know is that student athletes have to be committed to whatever sport they take part in. While being on a team is super fun, they need to make sure you’re focused and working hard throughout the season of your sport. Showing up to practice and retaining skills outside of practice is crucial.

“Advice I have is that student athletes need to put in work in outside of school, make sure they get in shape, and listen to their coaches,” junior Pavlos Stamatopoulos said.

Another aspect of being on a team here at West is that there is a lot of responsibility and athletes should talk to teammates and coaches if there are ever questions and concerns.

One thing to add is that athletes have to keep up their grades in order to stay on the sports teams and remain eligible to compete in their competitive sport. It is important to remember that you are not only an athlete, but a student athlete.

Along with this comes overall effort and respect. Make sure to show up to practices, respect your teammates and coaches, and of course, give it your 100% day in and day out.

“All of these factors lead to a strong player and a stronger team,” Stamatopoulos said.

It is strongly encouraged to get involved here at school by doing the sports you love. You can find out further information on the Niles West Athletics Home Page regarding sports, tryout information and contacting information for coaches.