Explore the Life of Ms. Ogulnik

Student Activities director Jessica Ogulnik. Photo by Vicky Robles

You know her as the kooky, spunky Activities Director who knows how to have fun, care for her hair, and make homecoming a blast, but there is so much more than meets the eyes of this vivacious individual. Jessica Ogulnik likes many things other than managing clubs and events.

With a wavy, purple bulletin board lining, Ogulnik curved it into a crown perfect for the Queen of activities, placed it on her head as she sat in her wheely-chair throne and said,”I like working with kids, being ridiculous and silly and still get paid for it, organizing events, being surrounded by kids, and wearing a crown.”

Ogulnik doesn’t really know the meaning of an “ordinary day.”

“I don’t really have an average day,” said Ogulnik. “I teach anatomy at 7:53, finish at 8:52. Then, the adventure begins. Some days I have meetings, some days I have to plan for class, some days I have to come here and send letters to kids or make forms to give to kids. Maybe I have to chase down Osburn. Ms. [Patty] Ference tells me what to do sometimes. I’m in charge of all of our clubs and there are over 70. I’m [also] in charge of assemblies, communication between the students and the school, community service, dances, parades, school spirit, and leadership opportunities. I think I have the coolest job in the building. I think that most of the cool things that have happened to me are because I work here. I [wouldn’t] want to switch [my job] with anybody [else’s].”

Ogulnik confesses her secret favorite amongst the 70 clubs she takes care of.

“I love Dance Marathon because they do an incredible amount of good,” said Ogulnik. “They’re mostly student run and they accomplish what most adult companies can’t. It’s really impressive.”

As Niles West’s Activities Director, Ogulnik must manage many cultural clubs as well.

“[What I like most about Niles West] is the diversity,” said Ogulnik. “I love that you can have a Cultural Round Table. I think we have 13 countries represented. That’s crazy. That happens no where else but Niles West.”

Ogulnik touches the topic of Turnabout as a dying race with a bit of sternness in her tone.

“[This problem] is only at Niles West,” Ogulnik said. “I think Turnabouts are very successful at other schools. At Niles West, not so much.”

With all the different clubs and events she manages, Ogulnik also gets to meet different people every year.

“There are different types of unique [students] I’ve met,” Ogulnik explains. “[Nick] Flatley, [Danny] Toy, and Megumi [Hoshi] [were the most interesting]. That’s the great thing about working with kids because there’s a unique kid every time.”

Ogulnik reflects on her past and thinks about the people who influenced her.

“I think I haven’t really changed as much as a person,” Ogulnik shares. “I’ve never really been a downer kind of person. I’ve always been annoyingly happy. Overall, I think I had a good childhood. I grew up in Wilmette, moved to Glenview in first grade [and] English was my second language. [I] traveled a lot. I love traveling. Usually if it’s a long weekend, I won’t be here. It’s kind of how I roll. I love my family. My parents were strict. I read a lot, danced a lot. I lived with my grandparents. My grandmothers were my role models. They were both teachers, positive women, and they were both very strong and very kind. I have a huge group of friends [and] we travel together as a group and most long weekends and breaks are my favorite things.”

The spirited Ogulnik is proud of her quirkiness.

“I like that I am upbeat and energetic,” Ogulnik said with a smile. “I have very high self-esteem. I think it’s a problem.”

Junior Kubrat Vrachanski, who visits Ogulnik on a daily basis, agrees with her view on her cheerful aura.

“She’s very dynamic and always treats us with love,” Vrachanski said. “When you have a problem she’s willing to help you. She also inspires people a lot and has a lot of positive energy.”

Ogulnik’s sparkling, lively nature follows her personal motto in life.

“Worrying does not empty tomorrow of it’s troubles,” Ogulnik quotes. “It empties today of it’s strength.”

Ogulnik isn’t just known for her contributions to the school. Her curly mane is a surprisingly popular topic among students and faculty.

“I cut it twice a year and I use Herbal Essences shampoo,”  Ogulnik laughed. “I [also] use Herbal Essences mousse. Those are the secrets to success. I never dry it or color it.”

There are some changes that Ogulnik wishes to see made in the school and in the world.

“I wish that people would come together, instead of out of hatred, out of love,” Ogulnik explains. “Like, I wish seniors wouldn’t think they have to beat down juniors. I wish we could come together as a school to compete against others as opposed to within ourselves.”

Ogulnik shares a message that she believes students should consider.

“You have no idea how good you have it,” Ogulnik begins. “I think the students here are very lucky. They have amazing things like the Lit Center, the Student Commons, and organic cafeteria food. The list can go on and on. You don’t realize how amazing you have it until you leave.”

Obsessed with Ms Ogulnik? Here are some Fun Facts:

Her top 3 favorite movies are “The Godfather Part 2,” “Wall-E,” and “Life is Beautiful.” She loves horses, doing yoga, skiing, rock-climbing, dancing and “selfish sports of all kinds.”

NWN: Do you have  weird habit?

Ogulnik: I can only eat Skittles or M&Ms two at a time. I need one for each side of my mouth.

NWN: What is your favorite food?

Ogulnik: Ice cream.

NWN: What kind?

Ogulnik: No, see, that would be like asking a mother which child is her favorite. They’re all my favorite!

NWN: If you could have dinner with any celebrity, dead or alive, who would it be?

Ogulnik: Michael Jackson because I’m a huge fan. He’s my favorite musician since I was born. I used to have loud parties with his music playing in my basement. I would love to talk to him.