NFL Draft Review

By John Przekota, Staff Writer

With the 86th annual NFL draft coming to a close, fans note how eventful of a draft this has been considering all of the many key trades and shocking picks.

With many eyes zoning in on Michigan defensive end Aidan Hutchinson, Hutchinson returns home after being selected second overall by the Detroit Lions. 

As for sophomore Noah Weinberg, Hutchinson has the most upside in the draft after his historic season this year with Michigan.

In my opinion, Hutchinson has the most potential in the draft, he had 14 sacks in the whole college season, he was 1.5 sacks away from breaking the all-time sack record,” Weinberg said.

Many believe that the Lions had one of the better drafts in their organization history after taking Hutchinson and trading up for Alabama wide receiver Jameson Williams. Williams finishes his 2021-22 season after garnering over 1,500 receiving yards.

Sophomore Peter Mestousis believes the Detroit Lions had an amazing draft.

“With Hutchinson being drafted and the trade-up with the Vikings for Williams, both were amazing picks by the Lions. Williams was a steal and Hutchinson is gonna be great, which in my opinion makes the Lions the winners of the draft,” Mestousis said. 

After a national championship season at the University of Georgia, star defensive lineman Travon Walker has been selected first overall by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Walker, a Georgia native, finishes his junior campaign with 37 total tackles and six sacks. The Jaguars continue to rebuild after countless losing seasons; a defense in need will appreciate the versatility and athleticism Walker brings to the team.

As for the Chicago Bears, the organization selected two defensive players in the second round. Fans argue that newly appointed general manager Ryan Poles could’ve done a better job in the picks he made considering quarterback Justin Fields is in need of more targets after several off-season moves.

Social Studies teacher Scott Baum notes how important it could’ve been for the Bears to draft in the first round.

“I saw a lot of teams drafting guys and getting better while my favorite team, the Chicago Bears, did nothing! I think that the Bears got better with the draft but I wish we could have picked in the first round.”

In conclusion, another exciting NFL draft has come to end. Teams will greatly benefit from their selections, while others will regret their choices. The NFL season begins on Sept. 8, while yet another great season full of football is awaiting us.