Netflix Releases New Teen Crime Drama: “Fakes”

“Fakes” show poster

By Anna Lusson, Staff Writer

Last month, a new Netflix Original TV Show, “Fakes”, came out featuring 18-year-olds Zoe Christensen, played by Emilija Baranac, and Rebecca Li, played by Jennifer Tong. Now if the name doesn’t ring any bells as to what this show may be about, let me tell you.

Taking place in British Columbia, Canada, viewers meet Zoe and Rebecca, who have been best friends since they were six years old. Zoe, being very tech-savvy, creates a fake ID for Rebecca. Consequently, she gets this idea and asks their friend Tryst, played by Richard Harmon, to pre-sell fake IDs to consumers. And although this idea causes the business to boom, they are in debt to Tryst owing tons of money to pay back for the sales already made. But with their first 30,000 dollars selling IDs, they naturally dive head first into the business and expand their sales to the entirety of North America.

Not only does this show contain crime, but it also has family and high school drama elements as well as problems that are very advanced for high schoolers. Both girls struggle with their lives at home, and they each face typical boy problems all while running the biggest fake ID business in which they almost get caught. It’s safe to say Rebecca and Zoe are in over their heads. And although this show keeps you on your toes, I found the personalities of the characters, especially the main best friends, to be annoying at times and pretty cliché.

Zoe and Rebecca have polar opposite personalities. Zoe is very studious but doesn’t have a lot of friends outside Rebecca. She stays at home almost every night doing homework, never breaks any rules, and lives comfortably. Rebecca on the other hand doesn’t care about school at all, gets invited and attends parties almost every weekend, is extremely wealthy, and is an aspiring influencer. Their contrasting personalities are very extreme, and the audience is constantly being reminded of this. They frequently have conversations where Rebecca doesn’t understand why Zoe is staying at home instead of partying and vice versa. This got very old quickly, and the “opposite personalities but best friends nonetheless” trope has been used countless times in television.

However, I have to give the show credit for its story structure. Each episode tells the same story, but from someone else’s point of view. The first 4 episodes go back and forward from Zoe’s point of view to Rebecca’s point of view, but in episode 5 they introduce the point of view of Tryst, the friend they struck up the fake ID sales with. Every two episodes show the same events, so the storyline only progresses every other episode. Furthermore, the same events play out very differently in the eyes of different people, so you don’t truly know what actually happened, it’s up to view discretion. This was really interesting as a viewer because the different perspectives can fill in the holes of the first storyline, or portray characters you thought you knew well in a different light.

If you are looking for a show filled with drama, twists and turns, crime and are able to get past some over-the-top acting, this is definitely the show for you. It contains ten episodes that make up the first season, and it contains a shocking ending that will leave you wanting more.