Niles West Football Season 2022 Comes to an End

Katarina Pljevaljcic

Niles West is ready with the ball on offense.

By Gia Bexes, Features Editor

Wrapping up the 2022 football season, the Wolves played against the Glenbrook North Spartans on Friday, Oct. 21st. Many students and staff watched the Wolves as they played their final game of the season. Prior to the game, the Niles West Community celebrated all of the senior football players, cheerleaders, as well as dancers for senior night.

Unfortunately, the Wolves lost the game with a final score of 28-7. “The loss hurt most for the seniors. We came up short on execution, on both sides of the ball. Not the way we want our season to end,” senior Jovanny Garcia said.

However, the Wolves kept a strong mindset throughout the game. “It was a fun season, though it did not go as we planned, but we will have a good off-season and bounce back next year,” junior Joey Pantazis said.

Although it is sad to see the seniors as they play their last game on the field, their hard work and dedication will never go unseen.

This entire season was a tough one for the team, the Wolves started off strong with a win on September 2nd against the Niles North Vikings. The final score was 27-14. Then, they had a tough loss against Schaumburg on September 9th, with a final score of 17-7. In the next few weeks, the Wolves played Elk Grove and Glenbrook South and unfortunately lost.

Lots of hard work was put into this season though, the team had practice every day, and even over the summer, the boys were getting ready for this season. Now the team continues to practice in preparation for the future season to come.

Though it was hard to see the loss in the final game, the players have hope for the seasons to come. “We didn’t perform the way we wanted to. The game came down to who wanted it more and that turned out to be them. They played hard for a whole four quarters,” junior Aidan Delisi said.

The boys don’t dwell on the past games but keep their eyes set on what comes next year. “Everything that happened this season is over with now and we are focusing on what’s next. We have a lot of things to work on this off-season, but I’m really excited to get to work with my teammates and coaches. We are going to come back stronger and harder than ever next year and will achieve what has never been achieved at this school yet,” Delisi said.

The Wolves are ready to come back on the field even stronger next season.