Physics On Ice!

Niles West physics students ice skate in the Weber Center ice rink.

By Gia Bexes, Features Editor

Niles West juniors filled the Weber Center ice rink during their field trip with their physics classes on Nov. 28. The trip consisted of all juniors in the regular physics course per a lab experiment assigned by their teachers. With so many classes and students, the field trip consisted of two groups, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, based on class periods.

Students and teachers reached the Weber Center in Skokie with multiple buses, separated by class. The morning group’s field trip lasted from first period to the middle of fourth period, and the afternoon group’s field trip lasted from fifth period to the middle of eighth period. The field trip itself lasted approximately three hours.

Juniors have been studying several concepts in their classes, such as motion, acceleration, forces and more.

As the buses arrived, students were handed a lab packet to complete while on the ice. “Students are doing experiments on motion and forces on an ice rink,” physics teacher Martha Lietz said. While some students are comfortable being on the ice and were confident, others are anxious to get their skates on and enter the rink.

“Even though I could hardly ice skate, it was really a fun time,” junior Mya Iusco said.

Students appreciated this experience, which will be a memorable field trip.

“I had a very fun time and I’m glad that the juniors are being able to have this experience. I give thanks to my physics teacher,” junior Anisa Sebaggala said.

For many students, skating on the rink was brand new or something they haven’t done before. Students were able to open up to this new opportunity.

“It pushed me to do something I was nervous to do. I had a lot of fun so I am glad that I kept trying after falling and falling over again,” junior Erik Neumayer said.