Opinion: Are New Years Resolutions Effective?

By Gia Bexes, Features Editor

As the last month of the year is on its feet and the New Year approaches, this is the prime time to aim for and achieve new goals. The phrase “New Year, New Me” is something you may hear many people say as it gets closer to 2023.

Personally, I think that setting New Year’s resolutions is a great way to have a fresh new start to the new year. However, when people set these resolutions, they may not last long. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that a resolution should be reasonable and achievable. There shouldn’t be a lack of planning or accountability.

Some people take their resolutions very seriously and make sure to keep up with them throughout the entire year. Others, however, might forget about their resolution after January 2nd. Many statistics show that about 20 percent of people tend to drop their resolutions after two weeks.

Some examples of New Years’ Resolutions that I have heard include; going to the gym, eating healthier, being nicer to others, getting more sleep, etc. For students, a common resolution is to improve their grades or fix their sleep schedule.

In my opinion, setting these resolutions for the new year is a great way to achieve goals in the year, and build a new mindset. Though many people may not stick with their goals, the idea of setting a goal for yourself contributes to healthier habits as goal setting is a strong skill to have. Goal setting is something that can help you achieve long-term goals as well as short-term goals.

Some of my personal goals for 2023 are to keep my grades up, continue to exercise, put less pressure on myself and reduce stress. I set these goals because they hold me accountable and are specific to me. I know that I can reach these goals and that they are achievable. With this said, I will write down these goals somewhere where I can be reminded of them continuously.

While others believe that New Year’s Resolutions are a waste of time or won’t achieve anything, I strongly believe that these goals can have the chance to bring positives into one’s life. So, whether one achieves and works towards their new year’s resolution or not, I think it is necessary and important to set a resolution for yourself.  The greatest change might be yet to come, it could only be one resolution away.