Opinion: The District Needs to Hire More POC Staff

By Ammy Diaz, Staff Writer

More and more POC teachers are leaving West. With little to no teachers staying longer than a couple of years, the student body has become very aware of this. The lack of Black and Brown teachers at West is not surprising, but for a school that prides itself on diversity and “welcoming all” there is a clear issue in many people not feeling this way and leaving the district.

As a student who identifies with the Latinx community, the only time I see teachers also affiliated with this community are Spanish teachers and or security guards. It wasn’t until my junior year in high school that I had my first true Latino teacher who taught Spanish. (A big note is to also understand the difference between Hispanic and Latinx. Many Hispanics identify as white.) But aside from this, there’s a clear lack of Latinx teachers who aren’t teaching Spanish. Taking a Spanish class is the only time you will come face-to-face with a Latinx teacher at West. This could be said about many other minority groups as well but especially African American or Black staff members. The issues surrounding the retention of Black and brown staff need to be discussed more.

It’s taxing and hypocritical for change to only happen once students speak up. It wasn’t until Black Student Union decided to speak up about this issue that conversations began to rise up again. It is so important and valuable for students to have Black and Brown representation. Many will never understand how appreciated it is to see someone of your community or identity in a teaching position. Not only to students of color but to white students as well. We need to normalize minorities reaching higher education and holding stable working positions.

It also becomes a bit questionable as to why the district does not have more Black and Brown teachers if the district has incorporated a more diverse curriculum. Classes that are touching upon Black and Brown history should be taught by Black and Brown individuals, but that is not currently being seen.

So why are Black and brown teachers leaving West? I would say it comes down to a lack of support. One way to describe how the district tends to support individuals is very “picky” in a sense. The fact that many problematic teachers continue to be supported and maintained in the district is astonishing. Teachers have said racial slurs in the context of the “curriculum” go about with little to no punishment. This causes discomfort to staff, students, and the environment of the school. Black and brown teachers are leaving. Leaving because they are being overtaxed and overworked. There is an overall lack of support in almost all categories for our Black and brown teachers. The district needs to do better period.