France Faces Argentina in the World Cup Final

The World Cup Trophy.

The World Cup Trophy.

By Quinn Gilbert, Staff Writer

With the 2022 World Cup being one of the most exciting, and unpredictable World Cups of all time, the final two teams have emerged: Argentina and France. 

Argentina thwarted Croatia’s championship hopes earlier this week, with the help of one of the greatest players ever, Lionel Messi. Croatia hoped to go back to the World Cup final, but Argentina completely destroyed them with ease, winning 3-0. Argentia played great that game, which makes people hopeful that they could take it home on Sunday. 

Portugal has been eliminated from the competition, and the soccer “G.O.A.T” debate has been at an all-time high. All around the school, students are comparing Cristiano Ronaldo to Messi, resulting in heated arguments. However, the agreement seems to be that if Messi wins the World Cup, he will be the obvious “G.O.A.T”. However, he still has one more game to go, and if Argentina loses, he will be subjected to loads of ridicule. 

France however, is looking to repeat what they did in the last World Cup, win. If France manages to win this year’s cup they will be the first team to repeat the championship since 1962. With their young star Kylian Mbappé, they have a decent chance of winning 3 times in a row.

The 35-year-old player, Messi, recently stated that this Sunday will be his final World Cup game, which definitely brings a sense of urgency to Argentina’s current championship hopes. Fans around the world are excited to see Messi’s final World Cup, because the game of soccer may never see anybody this great again. Being able to witness Messi playing so well this late in his career is a pleasure for anyone who appreciates soccer. 

This World Cup has been crazy, teams that were thought to have no chance of winning, such as Morocco and Croatia managed to make deep runs while eliminating powerhouses. Although the underdogs can give teams a run for their money, unfortunately, all good things have to come to an end. France and Argentina are both very strong teams and will battle for the ultimate reward this Sunday. Mbappe and Messi, the two stars of their respective teams are both expected to play on an otherworldly level, which will surely make for an extremely exciting match. Make sure to tune in, because if you miss this game, you’ll have to wait another 4 years. 

France and Argentina battle for the World Cup championship this Sunday, December 18, at 9:00 AM.