West Reacts: Idaho Murders Updates & New Information

The+Idaho+Murder+crime+scene.+

The Idaho Murder crime scene.

By Gia Bexes and Katie Rakocha

Four students at the University of Idaho who lived at an off campus home in Moscow, Idaho, were stabbed to death on Nov. 13. Students Ethan Chapin (20) and his girlfriend Xana Kernodle (20), as well as best friends Madison Mogen (21) and Kaylee Goncalves (21) were the victims. 

After over a month of investigation, authorities were able to pinpoint a suspect: twenty-eight-year-old Bryan Kohberger. Arrested at his parents’ house in Pennsylvania, investigators were able to match Kohberger’s DNA to the crime scene. They also matched his car, a white Hyundai Elantra, to the suspected car. Kohberger, a Ph.D. student in criminal justice and criminology, faces four counts of first-degree murder if found guilty. The investigators identified Kohberger as a suspect but kept quiet at first. Since Kohberger has not yet entered a plea, he is not yet guilty. As of right now, Kohberger is being held at the Latah County Jail. The suspect has appeared in court twice. Once on Jan. 5 after being extradited and again a few days ago. His preliminary hearing is to begin on June 26. 

“In our system of justice people are presumed innocent until facts support a finding of proof beyond a reasonable doubt,” Niles West’s Director of Safety David Young said. 

The vehicle on the lookout, a white Hyundai Elantra, was seen on video surveillance near the crime scene multiple times. This was incriminating evidence that also linked him to the scene as it was traced back to Kohberger’s registration at Washington State University. The suspect’s phone was tracked at least a dozen times around the students’ home. Before the murders were committed, Kohberger was repeatedly messaging one of the victims via Instagram and also followed the three girls on Instagram. 

Also released in the affidavit, one of the surviving roommates described the intruder to investigators as a “figure clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person’s mouth and nose walking towards her.” The roommate informed investigators that she heard crying as well as a man’s voice saying, “It’s OK, I’m going to help you.” The roommate also described the intruder as “5’ 10” or taller, male, not very muscular, but athletically built with bushy eyebrows.” It has been reported that the roommate stood in “frozen shock” and proceeded to lock herself in her room. 

With all of this information being released through the affidavit, not only has this case shocked the panicked communities of Idaho and Pennsylvania, but the entire nation is demanding more answers. Even our small community here at Niles West is able to express their thoughts on this eye-opening and developing case. 

“It’s tragic because they were just normal teenagers. There’s honestly just so much confusion and unanswered questions, so I hope justice gets served,” junior Khloe Buelvas said. 

This case has made a lot of traction over social media, mostly on TikTok where those keeping up have created many of their own hypotheses for the case. Due to the case’s wide following, those in the D219 community are able to stay updated on any new information.

“Something like this shouldn’t have to happen to anyone, and I feel really bad for all of the students involved. I want to know more of what happened,” junior Aspasia Kostopolous said. 

Another aspect of this case is the fact that the suspect, Bryan Kohberger, who holds the position of a Ph.D. student in criminology and criminal justice, is known to have applied for a police internship. 

Young has been keeping up with this case as well and is intrigued by Kohberger’s background. “It’s very interesting to me. My background is law enforcement and masters is forensics psychology and this has led me to think he was possibly interested in something like this years ago and was trying to research how to not get caught,” Young said. 

A gag order was put in place, so the attorneys of the victim’s families can no longer discuss any aspects of the case publicly or in the media.

“I understand the way it [information] was released. I agree with limiting what was released. Agents can help with interviews, they dictate what resources they provide,” Young said. 

My first reaction was real sadness for everyone affected and just shock afterwards. It’s a real somber reminder that there are people around us capable of causing such harm,”  Lit Center Secretary Reine Hanna said.

This case sparks fear as well as curiosity for many. “It’s so unfortunate to keep hearing about tragic events similar to this one. I feel like murder cases have become so common in the news and media,” junior Angel Huerta said. 

Members of the public are eager to find out more information and seek justice for the four students along with their friends and families.