Ga-Ga for Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga is a multi-platinum, out-of-this-world singer who is taking over the music industry. Just last week she won eight awards at the Video Music Awards on MTV hosted by the hilarious Chelsea Handler. Gaga took the title for Best Dance Video for “Bad Romance,” Best Pop Video for “Bad Romance,” and the coveted Video of the Year for “Bad Romance.”

Her album, The Fame Monster was released late last November and was worth my cash. “Bad Romance” starts the album. She sings how she wants a man’s love and revenge, even in French during the bridge. One of my favorite lines is, “I want your drama the touch of your hands.” It explains it all, doesn’t it? She wants to be in love and she wants to fight with him only to get him back, thus having a bad romance.

One of my favorite songs on the album is the next song, “Alejandro.” I was less than enthused when the song started with the spoken lines, “I know that we are young and I know that you may love me but I just can’t be with you like this anymore, Alejandro.” The accent she used was cheesy and the violin in the background was distracting but it picked up with a techno vibe similar to one of Cascada’s songs. The multi-talented singer uses more than one language in this song (like “Bad Romance”). In the first verse, she talks about how a young girl, “Hides true love, en su bolsillo.” I was sitting down in my basement listening to this song when I first heard that line, and I had to listen to it about ten times before realizing that she actually did use Spanish. The words mean “in his pocket.” I wasn’t sure what it meant at the time, and I am still confused now. But this song made me dance around the basement.

The next song in Gaga’s collection is “Monster.” “He at my heart, he a-a-ate my heart,” starts the song, as she recalls a heartbreaking love affair. She cries, “We French-kissed on a subway train. He tore my clothes right off. He ate my heart and then he ate my brain!” I was picked up at how hurt she was that someone used her like that. Fans of Gaga will enjoy her trademark stuttering,something that you can find in almost all of her songs, (may I remind you of P-p-p-pokerface, p-p-pokerface) as she sings, “That boy is a monster, m-m-monster.” This song is the anthem for those who have been used like she was on that subway.

“Speechless” is number four, and even though I am not a fan of Gaga singing slow songs because they make her voice sound weak and awful, I enjoyed this track. I can feel her emotions as she sings. I was prepared for a song about being hurt with the beginning line, “I can’t believe what you said to me last night we were alone.” She sings about bad news and not being able to comprehend it. The first line of the chorus sums up everything she feels saying, “I’ll never talk again, oh boy you’ve left me speechless, so speechless.” Gaga is complemented by the piano in the background, the drums leading her strong voice, and the violin that pulls it all together.

Track number 5 is “Dance in the Dark.” It tells the story of a young girl lacking confidence. “Baby loves to dance in the dark ‘cuz when he’s looking she falls apart,” is just the first few lines of the chorus. It all makes sense to me. The song starts with the words, “Silicone, saline, poison, inject me baby.”

My absolute favorite song of the album and perhaps, my favorite song that she has ever written is “Telephone,” featuring Beyonce. The song starts with a slow beat with Lady Gaga talking to someone over the phone about how she can’t talk right now because she can’t hear a word he’s saying. Then it breaks into an up-tempo dance track that I indeed danced to when no one was looking. Beyonce comes in with a hip-hop tone of the song singing, “Boy, why you blowing up my phone? Won’t make me leave no faster, put my coat on faster, leave my girls no faster.” The bottom line of this whole song? Don’t disturb Gaga or Beyonce when they’re dancing their hearts off.

The next to last song, “So Happy I Could Die,” is different than what I expected. It fits in with the album, but it didn’t have my attention as the other tracks did. It had the right tone, but I wasn’t expecting a song so bland. It was generic and not over the top like the artist is.

The final song is “Teeth.” This is another weird one. It doesn’t have the same sound as the seven other songs. I am happy of that but the sound was off. This was an odd way to with this last one on Gaga’s part, but I have a feeling that the sound of this one is only a preview of what we’ll hear next from the singing sensation.

Overall, the album was worth my money. Lady Gaga is a smart young women for introducing a new style of pop. She adds her own techno and retro techniques to the music world and one day she will be honored for that. In the time being, I am expecting some sounds more similar to the beats of the song “Teeth.”