Will “Scream VI” Really Make You Scream?

Scream VI movie poster

By Holly korzun, Staff Writer

Scream VI released in 2023, marks the sixth movie in the Scream franchise. It was first released in 1996 and the following year, a second movie was released. Shortly after in the 2000’s, the third was released and the fourth a decade later. Given that this movie has been produced six times, has the concept changed? Or could it be better than the originals?

If you aren’t familiar with the concept of the movies, the characters are always a close group of people, either through school or family, that end up being one of the killers. There are many twists and turns in all the Scream movies, and it’s difficult for the viewer to figure out who the killer is until the very end of the movie.

Unless you really pay attention to this movie, as far as how the characters are connected, you would probably benefit from watching Scream V first. A good horror movie binge night would be Scream V through VI.

The movie starts off as always, with an innocent unsuspecting victim getting murdered. It quickly progresses into a lot of deaths, and I mean a lot. It becomes a total blood bath. The two main characters, Samantha Carpenter and her younger sister, Tara Carpenter are trying to rebuild their previously tragic lives in New York City. Samantha is very protective of her younger sister, while Tara wants to break free and be independent, but they soon find out they are stronger together as a team.

If you have watched the other Scream movies, one of the original characters was in the movie, Gale Weathers, who is always the news reporter. Although she is a news reporter, she ended up having an important role in the movie which was guiding the characters as to what they should and shouldn’t do.

Like mentioned before, this movie features a group of close friends, but how close are they? The friend group consists of all similar age college students, seven people in total. The Core Four, consists of Samantha, Tara, Chad, and Mindy who have all known each other since Scream five, and the others in the friend group are Quinn, Ethan and Anika.

Compared to the other Scream movies, it had the most gore. Horrible ways to die was definitely a theme to this movie. I couldn’t even keep track of the stab count. In a lot of the scenes it was almost too graphic and the urge to look away was strong. The ideas the producers came up with are not for the faint of heart.

Overall I think this movie is worth watching. The graphics and the plot are also good too. I definitely recommend watching it on the big screen, it makes for a more electrifying experience to see everything up close and in your face.