Seniors Don’t Check Out Just Yet!

Andrea Espino

Students patiently waiting their turn to walk down the stage.

By Ella Lindemann, Editor in Cheif

As the end of high school approaches, many seniors may be facing a classic case of “Senioritis.” In my experience, it has been challenging to keep up the motivation. Here are a couple of things that I have been implementing into my day to keep my senior year fun.

1) Take advantage of off periods and off campus time!

During study hall, it is important to get little assignments done and take frequent breaks. Use the time to reset so that you can be present in your classes. The library has coloring books and puzzles if you’re looking for a fun brain break. I go off campus basically every day just to get some fresh air. Even if you don’t have a car, it might be nice to take some time outside of the school building. I am excited for the amount of freedom I will have over my schedule in college, and in my opinion, going off campus gives me the smallest taste of that. Therefore, I prioritize getting to have that break.

2) Plan the night before.

Take a little time at night to plan out your next day. If I don’t take this step, I know I will snooze my alarm a couple of times, and I will most likely not do my homework. Picking out an outfit the night before allows for more time to sleep.

3) Make plans after school.

Give yourself a little reward for making it through the school day, even if it’s something small like picking up your favorite drink at the store.

4) Keep up with assignments and late work

Part of the trouble with “Senioritis” is the lack of motivation to stay engaged in school. My advice would be to figure out exactly what work you need to do to keep the grade that you want, and only prioritize that. Yes, getting in late work is important, but make sure to set priorities. Take a couple hours throughout the week to dedicate just to homework. I like to have study groups with friends to make it a little more bearable, but this may lower productivity levels.

5) Attend some of the final events hosted at Niles West for the 2022-2023 school year.

May 11-13- SpongeBob Musical

May 16- Senior Sendoff

May 17- Accolades

May 18- Senior Sunrise at Gilson Beach

May 18- NHS Teachers versus Students Basketball Game

May 24- Last Day of Finals

May 25- Graduation Rehearsal

May 28- Graduation!

Soon it will be time for the class of 2023 to go their separate ways, which is all the more reason to take advantage of the little time we have left together.