Theatre to Present ‘The Phantom Tollbooth’

Niles West Theatre will present its annual children’s play, this year’s being “The Phantom Tollbooth,” Thursday,Dec.8 through Saturday, Dec.10  in the Robert L. Johnson Auditorium.

The play is based of the children’s book by Norton Juster. It tells the story of a young boy named Milo and his adventures through a magical tollbooth.

Theatre Director Andrew Sinclair said “The Phantom Tollbooth is a good choice of play to put on.

“It’s one of those hidden gems.  It’s the book’s 50 anniversary this year. ..[In the play] only one actor plays Milo and the rest play ideas,” Sinclair

Play Production class students are the designers for the show. “The Phantom Tollbooth” will be playing on  Thursday, Dec. 8 at 10 am, a free community performance, Friday, Dec.9 at 4 and 7 pm, and Sunday, Dec.10 a matinee will be performed at 2 pm.   Tickets for students, senior citizens, and children cost $7, and for adults the cost is $10.

Junior Sarah Meehan, who is a costume designer, says that people should attend the play.

“Even though it’s a show meant for children, people should still come to see it, because it’s a show that their peers have been working on. As a class project the Play Production members have been putting a ton of effort into putting it together. I also think that there are a lot of life lessons embedded in the show that every viewer can benefit from,” Meehan says.

Junior Alex Wood, who plays The Terrible Trivium, agrees.

“Well, I think the play sends a really good message to little kids.For the older kids, there is still much fun to be had. All in all, the show is extremely unique and designed by…Play Production class. This means the entire show was designed by our peers which is really cool,” Wood says.

“[“The Phantom Tollbooth”] is good for children and children at heart. There is a different style of acting. It’s good for the whole family, especially at this time of the year,” Sinclair says.