Top 6 Summer Movies for Summer Break

By Anna Lusson, News Editor

There is officially less than a week left of school, which means that summer vacation is right around the corner. Without school, many of us will find ourselves with free time during the next three months. If you are looking for something to do over the break, or you want to get yourself in the mood for summer a little early, consider watching one of these summer movies. They are, what I consider to be, the best movies that capture that vibrant and warm time of year. They are listed in chronological order from oldest to newest.

Jaws (1975)

If you are up for a good scare, Jaws might be the movie for you. This age-old film features three men who are on a mission to catch a killer shark that has been attacking the (fake) beach town of Amity. It is a horror movie in broad daylight, and although the poor effects of the animatronic shark take away the scare factor at times, the suspense will keep you on the edge of your seat. While it is more of a serious film, there are many humorous moments, and the location of a beach town provides a nice atmosphere at the beginning of the movie.

The Parent Trap (1998)

The Parent Trap (yes, I think the 1998 version is better than the original version) is a feel-good movie about two girls that meet at summer camp and discover they are identical twins that were separated at birth. They decide to switch homes, London and California, to see what their other parent is like. You watch them form a strong connection at their camp, and then see them meet and form connections with their parents and other family members for the first time. In the end, they decide to try to get their parents back together again, so it is concluded with a revived love story. Throughout the movie, the girls explore their new homes in the warm weather, and even the soundtrack is perfect for summer.

Surf’s Up (2007)

Surf’s Up, along with being one of my favorite cartoon movies, is a fun childhood movie that is structured in the form of a fake documentary. It is located on a Pacific Island and it follows a young penguin whose dream is to be a professional surfer. The protagonist makes it into a surfing competition and is up against other surfers who are penguins or other animals. Each character has a very different and vibrant personality. It is very easy to get invested in the characters, even though most of them are penguins. Although it is a children’s animated movie, the format is similar to a parody, using sarcasm and exaggeration as its main form of humor.

High School Musical 2 (2007)

As a movie that is in many people’s childhoods, High School Musical 2 features the High School Musical characters we know and love, but on summer vacation. The large musical numbers of high schoolers getting ready to leave on summer break are sure to get you excited for the break too. The characters all have jobs working at a country club together, which causes drama, and of course more singing and dancing throughout the film.

Mamma Mia (2008)

As another musical-style movie, I can confidently say this is one of the few movies I can watch a million times in a row and not get sick of. It is hard to resist the soundtrack, filled with fun, upbeat and summer-esque ABBA songs. It follows a girl who is about to get married at her mom’s hotel in Greece but wants to invite her unknown father. The only catch is that there are three possible fathers, so the main protagonist invites them all. Aside from the beautiful scenery and soundtrack, the movie explores relationships of all kinds: mother-daughter, father-daughter, friend, and romantic relationships.

Luca (2021)

Taking place in another beautiful and warm location, Luca is another cartoon Disney movie that is set on an island in Italy. It follows a boy who can turn from an underwater creature into a human. The movie follows him discovering land for the first time, exploring Italy, and making new friends on the island. His friends teach him new things about life on land, and one of their main goals is to win the annual bike-racing competition. It is another very light-hearted and easy watch that is easy to get lost in.